Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

theunderseaclub

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
Hi guys, I have a 2009 Hex Mac Pro (running ML), I was at the computer shops here in Hong Kong, and under impulse, I bought a generic PCIe USB 3 card, with the Nec 72070 chip.

However, it doesn't work at all, it has a sata power connector on the chipboard for power, must I connect that? My optical bay already has two hard drives in in, so I don't have any sata power cables to spare. I haven't try plugging in a sata power cable to the USB card yet, since it'll be somewhat trouble and I haven't had time.

Do I need to download a driver of some sort? Or did I buy the wrong card?

Nothing of the USB 3 card is showing up in System Profiler.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 2014-09-05 15.31.12.jpg
    2014-09-05 15.31.12.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 327
Last edited:

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi guys, I have a 2009 Hex Mac Pro (running ML), I was at the computer shops here in Hong Kong, and under impulse, I bought a generic PCIe USB 3 card, with the Nec 72070 chip.

However, it doesn't work at all, it has a sata power connector on the chipboard for power, must I connect that? My optical bay already has two hard drives in in, so I don't have any sata power cables to spare. I haven't try plugging in a sata power cable to the USB card yet, since it'll be somewhat trouble and I haven't had time.

Nothing of the USB 3 card is showing up in System Profiler.

Thank you very much.

Hi TheUnderseaClub. You can try connecting the power cable at the 4th HD bay nearest to your USB 3.0 card and see if it will work. You will need to remove your HD if that bay contains a HD. Don't give up as the card may still work as long as you're on ML 10.8.3 though I may be wrong about the card. Good Luck.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Most of the card won't work without connecting the power cord. So, unless you can figure out how to connect the power cable, most likely this card won't work.

AFAIK, the best card require no extra power is the Inatek KT-4004, however, that's not avail in HK (I've been to all SSP, MK, WC's computer centre, no luck). So, the 2nd best option you can get from a local store and may work without the power cable is the Orico PFU3-2P (N.B. only this 2 port card may work, the 4 port card definitely need extra power). However, without extra power, you better connect your USB 3 devices through a powered hub. Some users reported that the connection is not stable without proper power supply.

Last edited:

theunderseaclub

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
Thank you all for the quick and helpful replies!

I will try connecting a power cable to it when I have time and see if it works.

I should of done a quick search.. but that's what impulse buying does to ya. The only downside is HK doesn't accept returns. :eek:

h9826790, where did you purchase your Orico card? I've seen that brand around in Kowloon. Thank you!

I might order the Inatek from Amazon, as I have a friend who'll be coming to HK from the US next month.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The best option should be ask your friend to get you the KT-4004.

Anyway, I got my Orico PME-4U from Comdex Tech. Ltd, which located at LG/F, Golden Computer Arcard, SSP.

Yes, there is basically no return policy in HK. However, usually the store will allow you to pay the price difference and get another item within a week. If that card won't work at all, try to take it back (with all the package, etc.) and ask them to give you this "upgrade" option.

PaulCon

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
UK
I've got a problem with the 4 port Orico USB 3 card in my 2006 Mac Pro running 10.7, I've hooked the card upto the sata power from one of the drive bays and although the USB 3 external HDD has lights on it I can't see it in OS X, I've checked system report and it doesn't show the card in the USB section, do I need drivers or something? :confused:

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009

Maybe best to inquire with Caldigit if the above card works on Snow Leopard to be sure. It's not specified in the product description about the OS support.

You can also check the RocketU 1144CM as it works in Snow Leopard. I am using this card under Snow Leopard- http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-Roc...words=HighPoint+RocketU+4-Port+USB+3.0+1144CM

Another option is this card http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXPCIEL2ESU3/

krikorola

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Maybe best to inquire with Caldigit if the above card works on Snow Leopard to be sure. It's not specified in the product description about the OS support.

You can also check the RocketU 1144CM as it works in Snow Leopard. I am using this card under Snow Leopard- http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-Roc...words=HighPoint+RocketU+4-Port+USB+3.0+1144CM

Another option is this card http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXPCIEL2ESU3/

I'm using soundcards and the 1144 only works with drives (I tested it). The eshop link i saw it, but i was goping for usb3 only and less expensive too. i'm gonna contact Caldigit.

Last edited:

lexR

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2013
UK
Hi guys wondering if any one knew whats the problem with my USB 3.0 set up...

i have a Orico PFU3-2P which is working fine for usb 3.0 speed

PCI Card

just purchased a Orico M3H4 4 port hub

USB 3.0 Hub

tried with different usb 3.0 cables and nothing... still only registered as a usb 2.0 hub :(

any help would be great

Mac Pro 3.46 12 core running Yosemite PB2

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi guys wondering if any one knew whats the problem with my USB 3.0 set up...

i have a Orico PFU3-2P which is working fine for usb 3.0 speed

PCI Card

just purchased a Orico M3H4 4 port hub

USB 3.0 Hub

tried with different usb 3.0 cables and nothing... still only registered as a usb 2.0 hub :(

[url=http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/Lexrouzee/ScreenShot2014-09-17at195811.png]Image[/URL]

any help would be great

Mac Pro 3.46 12 core running Yosemite PB2

Your USB 3.0 hub is normal. Your card support both Hi-speed (USB 2.0) and super speed (USB 3.0). Did you see that your hub also appear under the super speed bus? That means your hub now can work with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 device.

charles091809

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
USB3.0 SSD to Mac

I got a USB3.0 SSD from RENICE to my Mac, and the transfer rate is astonishing me. Super speed. Here is FRY: ****************77NmJ9 h t t p : / / g o o . g l / 7 7 N m J 9

Last edited:

lexR

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2013
UK
Your USB 3.0 hub is normal. Your card support both Hi-speed (USB 2.0) and super speed (USB 3.0). Did you see that your hub also appear under the super speed bus? That means your hub now can work with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 device.

According to your pic. Your hub is listed under the USB 3.0 SuperSpeed section. Plug in a USB 3.0 drive and test the speed. Pretty sure you'll be satisified.

Thanks guys yeah after testing you guys were right! appreciate your experience :)

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HighPoint RocketU 1144C/1144D USB 3.0 - PCIe 2.0 4x

HighPoint RocketU 1144C/1144D (same card)
ASMEDIA Chipset - ASM1042a

The card preforms well and had no problems recognizing several devices I tried (web cams, keyboard, mice, printers, scanners, Belkin hub, Inateck hubs, Docking Stations, thumb drives, portable USB drives etc…) and the list goes on and on…

This card is easily installed, and works immediately with the OS X 10.9+ built in drivers. It has no conflicts with any of my other hardware (including the installed Inateck KT-4004 USB 3.0 card).

I transferred dozens of TB to and from SSDs & mechanical USB 3.0 drives and it's extremely fast. Plugging in multiple drives does not slow the 1144C at all.

The 1144C easily powers 4x 7200 RPM 1TB laptop drives without any additional power requirements.
(This card does not require any additional power connections, it's fully powered by the PCIe slot).
I've tested it pretty extensively and I can't find any negative characteristics to this card so far.

I had no bluetooth interference during large or short transfers. So far I have nothing but great results with this card.

The HighPoint card is a bit more expensive than most ($100-$120), but consider that it’s a 4x card, requires no additional drivers for OS X 10.9+, has 4 controller chips (one for each 5 Gbs port, 20 Gbs of combined speed) to prevent slowdowns when transferring between multiple devices, and fully supports UASP transfers, and supports all sleep modes.

I can easily recommended this product to anyone who wants USB 3.0 in a cMP.

I have tested this card with OS X 10.9.4 - 10.14 and it performed flawlessly.

* Supports UASP: 70% Faster than traditional USB 3.0, with UASP Transfer Protocol, 80% less CPU utilization than standard BOT transfers.

The box includes:

1 - PCIe card in an anti-static bag
1 - Instruction Manual
1 - Windows Driver CD, and PDF version of documentation.

Note: Initially I believed this card was having problems with my Seagate Backup+ 4TB drive. It turns out that none of my external drives that are 4TB (Seagate & WD) can be defragged while attached to ANY USB CONNECTION (including USB 2.x). Otherwise, all drives and devices performed admirably on the HighPoint RocketU 1144C.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Initially, UASP was reportedly useful to only SSD drives. This is false... If you work with USB 3.0 drives on a regular basis, you will find it greatly benifits rotational drives installed in UASP compliant enclosures. With UASP you will be able to work with multiple files at once. For instance you can rename files/folders while other files are activly transfering data. It's very similar to regular operation of an SATA drive. Also, UASP enables you to carry out your USB activities while using 80% less CPU power so there is less drag on the system. I strongly encourge you to utilize drive enclosures that can take advantage of UASP, you won't regret it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Smells like an Apple issue to me regarding the 4 TB showstopper. But I could be wrong.

It looks like it doesn't need additional power, correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.