Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
My phone has been in a case the entire time I've owned it, which is less than two weeks. Still, several nicks on the flat edge near the lightning port. Some possible scuffs on the screen.

I've used the mini-ubs port on my previous flipphone maybe a thousand times. Not a single scratch. 2 or 3 uses of the lightning port, multiple scratches.

This is a joke.

Because it's an Apple product and they are top notch quality. If someone say they have quality problems and scratch easily, they are probably lying or are Fandroids, buying an very expensive iPhone that they abuse and then come here and complain that it did so even though they babied it.

At least that's the impression I get from many of the forumists. I recently got my first iPhone and my iP5 came in mint condition and I've had front and back protection plus silicon case or bumper since day one. I Still have gotten one small nick (ca 1x1 mm) that shines through the black, just beside the volume buttons, under the case/bumper. I have never seen anything like that on my previous (HTC) phones (also brown/black aluminum frames).

My guess is that some iPhone 5's have problem with the aluminum scratching/flaking very easily. Other phones seem to being able to take a whole lot of abuse without showing the smallest blemish (according to some on this forum at least). But it seems as Apple is aware of the potential problem and will replace it should that happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Aha! It must be haunted! :D

Agreed. Your case must be poorly designed! ;)

Really My case poorly designed? Assuming you have not had this issue, and you haven't a clue what you are talking about (related to this issue) mine is getting the scuffs with missing paint, and I have cleaned the case with the phone, others I know who have varied cases are having the same issue, but those with white ones are not.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Really My case poorly designed? Assuming you have not had this issue, and you haven't a clue what you are talking about (related to this issue) mine is getting the scuffs with missing paint, and I have cleaned the case with the phone, others I know who have varied cases are having the same issue, but those with white ones are not.

Well, I've had mine in a "Kay's Case" that I bought off of Amazon.com for $12.99 for all but 1 week (had the phone for just over 3 months now).

It has not received any scratches while in the case. It did get a couple microscopic scratches before I put it on the case because it was in my pocket with my keys (by mistake). But you really have to closely examine the phone and really look for them to actually see them.

Maybe your phone moves slightly in your case??

All I know is that it "shouldn't" scratch while in a case or from the case itself.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Had my black/slate version since Nov 12.

I use a bumper on it purely because its a slippery sucker.

Once a week I remove it and wipe both the handset and bumper over.

No scuffs to report.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Because it's an Apple product and they are top notch quality. If someone say they have quality problems and scratch easily, they are probably lying or are Fandroids, buying an very expensive iPhone that they abuse and then come here and complain that it did so even though they babied it.

At least that's the impression I get from many of the forumists. I recently got my first iPhone and my iP5 came in mint condition and I've had front and back protection plus silicon case or bumper since day one. I Still have gotten one small nick (ca 1x1 mm) that shines through the black, just beside the volume buttons, under the case/bumper. I have never seen anything like that on my previous (HTC) phones (also brown/black aluminum frames).

My guess is that some iPhone 5's have problem with the aluminum scratching/flaking very easily. Other phones seem to being able to take a whole lot of abuse without showing the smallest blemish (according to some on this forum at least). But it seems as Apple is aware of the potential problem and will replace it should that happen.

you have yours in a case. i just dont think most people notice because they have it in a case. all of the ones at the apple store look horrible especially around the connecter part. not a bad batch its just a cheap way to coat the phone.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I've purchased two iP5's now. A black one for myself and a white one for my wife. Both devices arrived scuff free and have remained that way in cases and screen shields.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hello,

I want to get an iPhone 5, it will be my first iPhone, I have an iPod Touch 4G that I really like & a Nokia E90. I'll get an unlocked one.

My question is, is scuffgate problems solved by Apple yet? Are the new iPhones scuffgate free or should I be worried?

I like my MacBook, iPad 3, Apple TV & AirPort Extreme too, I wish Apple solve these problems ASAP.

When I bought my iPhone 5 in December, I looked over it, and it had no scuffgate problems whatsoever. But then again I got a white one so I'm not sure if its because the scuffs are more noticeable on the black vs white iPhone 5's or not. If you want to buy an iPhone 5 I would buy one at the Apple store vs online/any other store because you can look over your phone to see if there's any problem/cosmetic issue with it before you leave the store.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Hello,

I want to get an iPhone 5, it will be my first iPhone, I have an iPod Touch 4G that I really like & a Nokia E90. I'll get an unlocked one.

My question is, is scuffgate problems solved by Apple yet? Are the new iPhones scuffgate free or should I be worried?

I like my MacBook, iPad 3, Apple TV & AirPort Extreme too, I wish Apple solve these problems ASAP.

Go to any Apple store and look at the display models if you want a real answer. Or I can save you the trip. The black phones are all noticeably scuffed around the band, and the chamfer is dinged like crazy. Scuff gate is NOT a real thing, at least not in the sense of the anodizing randomly peeling off during normal use. What is real is that the aluminum of the black phone will show silver under every major scratch. If you're worried about the possibility of this get a white phone.

Besides showing scratches on band usually due to things like wedding rings scratching the phone the slate iPhone 5 chamfer is also extremely prone to showing dings. The lightest bump will ding it, as in less than a 1 foot drop off the edge of something dinged my defective iPhone 5 (thankfully replaced for other reasons). The reason for this is that the iPhone 5 has sharp corners and on those corners where they meet is very very thin material, that geometrically tapers into being less than paper thin (imagine the top of a wide base triangle). So these sharp corners are only slightly harder to dent the iPhone 5 than it is to dent tin foil, because they taper into being less than paper thin. The good news is the bare aluminium back is super durable. Personally I use a bumper case (power support) and no back protection and have had no problems. My screen protector has tons of serious deep scratches and i treat my phone really poorly constantly dropping onto concrete and sitting on it with keys in my pocket. I have to replace my screen protector monthly due to scratches which is a testament to how it's treated, but my slate aluminium back looks brand new.

So to summarize:

White iPhone 5:

Sides: does not show severe wear and tear
Rear: does not show severe wear and tear

Slate iPhone 5:

Sides: shows the smallest amount of wear and tear, literally dropping from less than 12 inches.
rear: does not show severe wear and tear, with just a super thin bumper case that has lay on table protection like the caze thin edge or power support bumper you can very very severely abuse it and it will look brand new.

Last edited:

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
I have had my iPhone 5 since Nov. I got a otterbox case when I first got my phone and then I went with a much slimmer speck case. My phone looks like it did when I bought it other then the dust that has gotten in headphone jack and the charging port.

So OP look at it this way. All the other iPhones would scratch and chip if you dropped them right? I had the 3GS and I took really good care of it, but you know that silver around the screen? Look like crap after the 2 years I used it. Had scratches and such on it. The black plastic back had nicks and scratches as well. Nothing I could do just normal bumping around in my pocket. I also had the iPhone 4. For the longest time I had not case on it and never dropped it, but the back glass still got scratches on it. It was from laying it on tables or what ever. I say all this because no phone is perfect and if you use it, it will not be perfect forever. Its like new shoes you love the way they look brand new, but you bought them to wear and the more you wear them the more worn out and dirty they get. The iPhone 5 has aluminum that is painted over in a color either black or silver, so yea if you drop it or slide it across something that paint is going to come off. It is just like a car. That paint will chip and scratch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.