Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Stang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
Hey guys, I'm a new member but always browse threw so i figure i register! :) I'm having a problem here as well as many iphone 5 users. I'm trying to pass the video threw my Iphone to my headunit. I was on the phone with a guy from Isimple and he told me to buy the Lighting to HDMI then by a HDMI to RCA then connect the RCA to the headunit..Will this work? I'm hearing i need a converter? That the HDMI to RCA cable is a scam? I ordered this cable from Best Buy so idunno how fake it can be? I have a Kenwood DDX719 Headunit. Also im guessing if this works i wont be able to use my App mode feature for the head unit? prolly AVI..If this works, I'm hopeing this doesnt mirror my iphone on the screen, meaning see my phone on the Screen of me swipeing and going back and forth lol. With the 30 Pin connecter cable from kenwood you can hook up your iphone 3G - 4s and use the app mode and it doesnt mirror the phone on the screen , what ever app i use it pulls up really cool! Any help tho?

2012Stang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
Yea I figured that out today, I bought a HDMI to RCA converter , composite cables and HDMI cable..This should work now, what I'm hoping for is not to mirror onto the dash screen per say, meaning not showing the face of the iPhone on the Kenwood screen I want it to be blank until I
Launch a app, YouTube, GPS..My head unit has the app mode, but it looks like I can't use it :(

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Digital to Analogue will not work with straight cables. You will need a converter

Yes. If anyone is selling you a CABLE that converts from HDMI to RCA then then are selling you snake oil. Such a cable will never work but you can buy them online from scam artists.

2012Stang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
Yeah I know now lmao, but hopefully the setup I got will work now when I get it. Anyone have this setup and can confirm it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.