Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Blainville, Province of Quebec
I have an old Airport Extreme (g) and I'd like to know if I can join it to my wifi network (n) and then use Airplay using speakers attached to the old extreme's USB port.

You might be able to sell your old Airport extreme and use the money to buy the airport express. It would cover for a good part of the price, which is 99$, then you'd be good to go.

Mjd2k

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Confused

My router is supplied by my isp and needs to be in the basement which does not work well.

So I bought an extreme at Bestbuy. The boys missed the part about needing it for my airplay speakers and apple TV, which is connected to my home stereo system.

I use ITunes on my PC to broadcast music to all the speaker at once. It works but keeps cutting out. I love the whole house experience from one source.

I have discovered the extreme does not work with Airplay.

I'm thinking I can hardwire a cheaper AC Cisco or Netgear to the main floor. That will resolve my internet issues by getting a better signal.

Can I connect my airplay speakers to an AC router and would that work better than the existing?

Alternatively, can I add an express to the mix and connect the speakers (and apple TV) to it.

If I do that, do I need to be connected to the express to play airplay?

Any ideas?

Thanks

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
First of all, what do you mean with "connect" ? Connect as connecting to the network via e.g. WiFi or connect as in connecting a cable to your router and if so, what kind of cable (ethernet cable or speaker cable) ?

Not sure what you mean. What issue do you have with the extreme ? I have been using Airplay with an extreme from 2007 for years without issues.

Last edited:

Mjd2k

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

My speakers are extrememac airplay speakers. You set them up by connecting your iphone via usb to them and transfer the network setup.

I can transfer the settings for my legacy network no problem but when I try to transfer the settings for the new extreme router, the speakers will not connect to the extreme network.

Upon googling, I keep finding the extreme does not support airplay.

I think its strange that the speakers connect (via wifi) to my n router but wont connect to my extreme.

Guess I'm not sure what this means: "extreme does not support airplay" but the express does.

In terms of "connect" I am referring to wireless.

Mjd2k

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
When I connected my ipad to the speaker and went to setup, my ipad displayed a message "this network's settings are not available for sharing with accessories"

Is there something I need to do with the extreme to allow it to be shared with accessories?

Mjd2k

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
May be a second post..sorry

Ok, I went in via my PC and configured the speakers manually. This has worked so far. Needed to reboot router, ipad, iphone, speakers at least 6 times but so far, so good.

Still having to reboot the speakers often. For example, if my Iphone was using "bedroom" speaker, then I try connecting with my Ipad to the "bedroom" speaker, I need to reboot the speaker to make the connection.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Sounds like the issue may be your speakers. I have a Pioneer a/v receiver with built in airplay and I have no issue using it both with my ipod, ipad and mac air without any reboot and the communication goes through an extreme.

Do you have same issue with your apple TV ?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008

the extreme will pass the airplay network packets.
It does not have an audio out port for airplay like the express does.

Still having to reboot the speakers often. For example, if my Iphone was using "bedroom" speaker, then I try connecting with my Ipad to the "bedroom" speaker, I need to reboot the speaker to make the connection.

make sure you disconnect your phone when you're done. (switch it back to your phones speaker)

also a lot of times devices will advertise 802.11n but only support 2.4 wireless.
if you've got 2.4 and 5Ghz wireless (what's called dual band) make sure you're trying to connect to the right one. the new extreme has "simultaneous dual band" so it's transmitting on both at the same time

sobur

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2014
Airplay doesn't show on ipad via apple tv and airport extreme

Hi , I work in a school and we have setup airport extreme and apple tv they both seem to be on the same subnet using ethernet cable and we have apple tv connected to projector using HDMI cable. However when we connect ipad to airport extreme base station wirelessly airplay option does not come up on iPad. But If we connect Apple Tv with airport extreme via ethernet cable , we do get the airplay option. It used to work when we first set it up for a month but after that stopped working , Airplay option not coming up. Any ideas what we can do to fix this issue .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.