Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
My first vinyl of Dave's group was Jazz Goes To Junior College. :cool:

These Foolish Things is classic Dave, and Paul Desmond too.

After that one I purchased more. ;)

R.I.P. Dave, and thanks.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Brubeck's time experiments went way beyond 5/4. For example, "Unsquare Dance" was in 7/4. The talent in the Dave Brubeck Quartet...Gene Wright, Joe Morellos, and Paul Desmond extremely talented. Brubeck's work with them, while not always the favorites with critics, was popular with both the jazz, and non-jazz audiences.

His drummer, Joe Morello, was a brilliant master of time. Some complained he had no "passion", but was technically nonpareil. Desmond wrote several of the "time" pieces on the several "Time" albums..."Time Out", "Time Further Out", "Time in Outer Space", and others.

His son is a very talented musician in his own right.

Brubeck made as real contribution to the American musical form... under appreciated in this country.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I spotted this several hours ago on the BBC as a breaking story and meant to post about it, but had to head out for a few hours. Sad news. I like his music and liked the man, too. Classy to the end.

Dave Brubeck was a very talented musician, and, as Shrink says, he was someone who made a real contribution to US (and indeed, world) music, and, unfortunately, was somewhat under-appreciated in his own country.

His was a generation of musicians and composers who let their music (and not their egos) do the talking - and, while they were at it, made a very worthwhile sound. He'll be missed.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
R.I.P. Dave Brubeck :(. He was one of the best musicians in existence, even though I've never had the opportunity to see him perform live.... he was unique.

Even his music that wasn't experimenting with time signatures was iconic, and great music, such as Blue Rondo A La Turk.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
R.I.P. Dave Brubeck...I great talent, and "Take Five" is an iconic number, but he did so much more as posted by Shrink, his experimentations in time were way ahead of what was considered the norm back in the day. He will be sorely missed.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
R.I.P. Dave Brubeck...I great talent, and "Take Five" is an iconic number, but he did so much more as posted by Shrink, his experimentations in time were way ahead of what was considered the norm back in the day. He will be sorely missed.

Unsquare Dance is a giggle, especially if you actually think you have rhythm. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.