Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redefined12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I am running a 2009 macbook pro. I installed os x mountain lion on it a few months ago. Last week it crashed and now will only but to the recovery 10.8 drive. While there I am taken to the OS X Utilities menu. I have been trying to reinstall mountain lion via the Reinstall OS X option but I keep getting an error saying "An error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." I do not have the original disc that came with the computer. How can I fix this?

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I am running a 2009 macbook pro. I installed os x mountain lion on it a few months ago. Last week it crashed and now will only but to the recovery 10.8 drive. While there I am taken to the OS X Utilities menu. I have been trying to reinstall mountain lion via the Reinstall OS X option but I keep getting an error saying "An error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." I do not have the original disc that came with the computer. How can I fix this?

try using disk utility to erase and reformat the disk to "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" then try again.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4439?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
DON'T do this ^ unless you either don't care about your data, or already have it backed up.

Yeah my bad I don't need to assume the OP has a backup. OP you can make a new partition when you are in the recovery and try to install OS X on it... Then maybe copy your data over...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.