Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
I can't figure out how to set that. I have a couple of foreign language films that aren't dubbed....how exactly do you go about setting it as default?

I currently have the language track as 'alternate group 1' and subtitle track as "alternate group 2' with both selected in teh main screen. Is there something I'm missing?

countingtozero

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
From my understanding you just tick the one you would like to be the default. If that doesn't work, iTunes (and everything you transfer/share it to from there) should just remember that you like having the subs turned on for that video after the first time you switch them on :)

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I can't figure out how to set that. I have a couple of foreign language films that aren't dubbed....how exactly do you go about setting it as default?

I currently have the language track as 'alternate group 1' and subtitle track as "alternate group 2' with both selected in teh main screen. Is there something I'm missing?

You tick one, leave the other(s) unticked, save file. Then when the movie is playing, you just choose which of the subtitle tracks you want to use.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Thanks guys. The subtitles are all definitely working on all of the video but only when I select them. I just want to ensure that files that only have a foreign language track automatically play the subtitles when i play the movie. I'll try some of your suggestions.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
What you actually have to do is:

1. open the file in Subler (make sure you're on the latest version as this is a relatively new feature)
  2. click on the subtitle track you want to be the default in the list
  3. the penultimate option in the list (beneath all the number fields) is 'Forced'. select the dropdown menu and change it from 'No' to 'All Samples Are Forced'
  4. then go to 'Forced track' at the bottom and select the ID number of the subtitle you've selected.

Hit save and you're done! I could be wrong as I don't do it using the method mentioned previously, but enabling subtitles explicitly in the settings and choosing a language will usually turn them on for everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.