Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcc2k

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
I wouldn't return the air just because of this small issue. This is almost certain a software issue, that will get fixed soon and if by any chance, this would really be an hardware issue then Apple would have to replace your air.
So lay back and leave the work to Apple and enjoy your new Air :)

NotHappyUser

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
I wouldn't return the air just because of this small issue. This is almost certain a software issue, that will get fixed soon and if by any chance, this would really be an hardware issue then Apple would have to replace your air.
So lay back and leave the work to Apple and enjoy your new Air :)

It's hard to enjoy a laptop when it kicks you offline every 20 minutes :)

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Same with IOS 7. Cant descirbe how good the battery life is on my iPhone 5 now that i downloaded the Beta. No way am i downgrading to IOS 6 until the golden master of IOS 7 comes out. Have to put 6 along with IOS 4 as my least favourite IOS's

I really like the new system functions that many smart phone's have had for a while finally making it's way to iOS. A lot of the jailbreak app's I used are no longer necessary as they're built it. My only issue is the GUI. I hated the skeuomorphism, and I liked what I saw at the keynote, but having used it on a number of devices, many changes in the GUI have made it more difficult to navigate. I'm hoping the next few months will produce improvements, I've filed enough bugs already. :)

Jedi Master

macrumors regular
Ethernet

It's hard to enjoy a laptop when it kicks you offline every 20 minutes :)

Yes it would, if big enough issue attach via Ethernet cable till resolve. Might be even easier than returning and far easier then returning and buying a windows machine. It may be a few months before the Haswell pro's are released.

Only you know which choice is best for use.

Personally I'd get a Ethernet cable.

Jed

bryanj030

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
I still need to take my iMac in for a stuck cd lol

try restarting your computer while holding down the left mouse button.

----------

I recently bought the 13" Haswell and I have no problems with the wifi. I also have the new apple time machine as well. I did have a problem with the iphone 5 and an old router but when I swapped it out for an apple extreme I had no issues with it after that. I think it might have been due to an odd encryption that isn't really used that much. I forget what it was called though.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
It seems this is more in relation to the ac protocol as well, of which I use through a new Extreme and MacBook Air. No issues on my end, however that means nothing if it is widely spread. I have noticed the new Extreme router improved my 2.4 and 5 GHz networks over N tremendously. Hmmm.

I just replaced my old AEBS with the new AC version and my 2013 MBA is connected to it at n speed, not ac speed. There are other n devices on the AEBS-AC, so does the AEBS-AC throttle down, thus explaining why my MBA is only at n speed?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just replaced my old AEBS with the new AC version and my 2013 MBA is connected to it at n speed, not ac speed. There are other n devices on the AEBS-AC, so does the AEBS-AC throttle down, thus explaining why my MBA is only at n speed?

No, I have a 2013 MBA connected to a new Time Capsule at AC at the same time as other N devices and the MBA stays connected and works at AC speeds. The N devices do not make the MBA drop back to N for me.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Well, I just rebooted my MBA this morning and now it says it's using ac, so that problem is resolved. However, now I need to get my Airport Express set up with the new AEBS-AC...

I believe routers are not impaired by b/g devices for a few years now. At one time, b/g devices connected to first gen N routers forced it into b/g speed for the entire network. Quickly, newer N routers rectified this issue with improved antennas, etc. Newer tech allows older devices to connect without degrading faster N or ac speeds.

On extending your network, I did the same. I'm using the 2011 5th gen Airport Extreme Base Station that the 2013 replaced to extend my 2.4 and 5GHz network. Normally I set DHCP reservations on my router for all devices (especially servers) to ensure devices don't fight over local IP's and server IP's remain static for VPN and local access. However, in a 2+ setup with extenders, devices need to be able to connect to the router with the best signal. If I force all devices to the main router, it defeats the purpose of the 2nd router extending my wireless network. I posted a thread about it here, was a long day and working in telecommunications I should know this, but I flaked and posted a thread here to ensure I wasn't being too blond that day lol:

Set DHCP Reservations w/ 2 routers to extend WiFi or counterproductive?

Hope this helps, and glad you got ac working. :)

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I gotta say, without breaking my NDA - much, 10.9 has remedied any WiFi issues that plagued my current generation Mac Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini and 2011 iMac. I'm surprised Apple doesn't utilize whatever resolved software developed in 10.8 updates, the infrastructure is set and if it is in testing stages could easily be implemented.

It seems this is more in relation to the ac protocol as well, of which I use through a new Extreme and MacBook Air. No issues on my end, however that means nothing if it is widely spread. I have noticed the new Extreme router improved my 2.4 and 5 GHz networks over N tremendously. Hmmm.
I'm still having an issue on my 2011 MacBook Air
On Mavericks over Wi-Fi, it mostly tends to be upon startup or occasionally upon freshly opening safari after waking the computer and it just won't load pages or simply loads them in a text only way with odd formatting like you would expect on a windows mobile device of old, it's certainly not a bandwidth issue as that much is instantly verified with my phone or iPad. Might be worth a fresh install of mavericks to see though.

----------

So you're both:
(a) pissed off that Apple won't fix hard-to-reproduce bugs. (I, for example, have multiple Macs and have no idea what you're talking about with this Spotlight re-indexing bug) AND
(b) pissed off when Apple actually DID try to fix these bugs by contacting you?

All right then...

Maybe my understanding of Indexing is incorrect, I've no issue prefacing with that, but the "issue" he refers to I believe to be simply the computer re-indexing the hard drive upon restarting. Based on what indexing is and does this seems like an obvious necessity. As more files are added the index needs to be adjusted/verified and should not be an issue that takes much time as is the case when you say do a restore or fresh install and add many files at once.

yellowplum

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
I do wonder if it may be connected to the previous version of routers/access points that I have in the house.

Maybe having an AC AP would mean that it would not have these issues.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I do wonder if it may be connected to the previous version of routers/access points that I have in the house.

Maybe having an AC AP would mean that it would not have these issues.

How clever of Apple to sell computers that have "issues" with your network - until you replace it with the latest Apple network gear.

I don't think that "interoperability" is in the Cupertino dictionary.

yellowplum

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
To be honest, I do have three wireless AP points in the house. One is very old one is from the ISP and the other is a newer N. I haven't connected to the N yet.

I was toying with the idea of replacing them with a AC one (not apple - and I didn't think apple made them)

As I said, it was just a thought the issue could be that.

bwat47

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
The new driver fixes connection issues for some people but has a pretty severe regression causes very high latency/jitter for many users (even pinging local router gateway wildy fluctuates between 30-150ms ping. many,many other posts in the apple forums verify this too. As soon as I manually downgraded the driver everything started working well again and latency is now 1-3ms to the router as expected.

Right now there's two options: The original driver which seems to work perfectly for some, but seems to have connection issues to certain AP's, but always has stable latency, or the updated driver which has less connection issues but awful, awful latency and jitter. I really hope they release another update that fixes these issues properly... I really love my new macbook air aside from this issue, I had hopes moving to apple would avoid these types of issues :/

Last edited:

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
This is stupid. I just bought a Macbook Air and having problems. I am on 10.9.1.

My Macbook Pro (2010) works much better.

-MacBook-Pro:~ cg$ ping 192.168.1.1

PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=3.925 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.677 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=3.739 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=1.154 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=2.619 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=1.300 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=3.798 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=1.623 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=1.765 ms

MacBook-Air:~ cg$ ping 192.168.1.1

PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=1.574 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.121 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.005 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=2.116 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=23.208 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=1.206 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=17.562 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=40.562 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=3.748 ms

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.