Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redsoxfan320

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Hi there,

My grandfather's iPad just arrived and he has relatively no experience with iOS at all. In fact, neither my grandpa or grandma are tech savvy at all, they really don't know how to do anything (Printing is a hassle).

When my grandpa's PC broke a few weeks ago, I talked him into buying the iPad because I know that the OS is much easier to use then Windows on a PC.

A few weeks ago, I showed him some games on my iPad including Fruit Ninja and Angry Birds which he really enjoyed and I also showed him a solitaire game cause literally that is the reason why he owned the computer in the first place lol.

So I'm just looking for some games that my grandpa will enjoy. He is 79 years old, so racing games and first person shooters aren't exactly what we are looking for lol.

If you know any good "play at your own pace" games that he would likely be able to manage and enjoy it would be awesome. While just having solitaire is technically enough for him, I want to try and show him what this new device can do for him.

Thanks a bunch!

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
There are some crossword puzzle games he might like. Check out the reviews for several. Other word games might be good. MahJong is another possibility if he likes solitaire games. And there are many variations of solitaire also.

cathylee

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
What about Sudoku? Considering that he likes Solitaire, you can give it a try and see how he goes with it.

Deanavryn

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Australia
Jigsaw App

We have created a kids game called Build a Scare but apart of that game you can great your own jigsaw from any picture on your iPad or take a photo and make it a Jigsaw. It has 3 different difficulty levels. If he likes to do jigsaws you can check out Build a Scare or Jigsaw Creator which is just the jigsaw part of the App as its own App. Only 99c

Build a Scare
iPad -https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/build-a-scare-hd/id566841020?mt=8

Jigsaw Creator
iPad - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jigsaw-creator/id568634511?ls=1&mt=8

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Angry birds, plants v zombies, and I'm a fan of naps and going to the IHOP at 3 pm for supper.

Firebeer

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
How about falling block games?

I think most of the "elder" people use to play these kinds of games like Tetris. Is that on the list? My brother is a fan of these kind of games, and he is actually developing one at the moment.

olimac3

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Well I think you can find all his classical pc's game as app! solitaire, why not board games...etc. I think it's a good idea to offer an iPad to "old" people, this is good interaction. He'll also maybe interested by having encyclopaedia, newspapers...

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
Jig saw puzzles as bad as I hate aarp they do have jigsaw puzzles on the web site. That would be the only thing I'd touch with aarp associated with it.

tornroos

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Honestly this is a self promotion comment but we have had lots of comments that our app Symmetry HD is really great for elderly people.

It is a simple relaxation drawing app. There are lots of videos on YouTube people have put up and the app is really fun.

http://appstore.com/symmetryhd

tiger1941

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
Sydney
Elevate is a good one. Helps keep the mind sharp.

Thank you, but I was specifically inquiring about 'Bejeweled'.

I already have Bejeweled on my 5s - it stopped working after installing iOS8.0 (later 8.02).
I was wondering if it's likely to be updated - then start working again?

Is there a normal time frame for games to be updated?

(Thank you)

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I qualify as a senior, my mum is 80. We both are hardcore Words With Friends players - or as she prefers to call it Words With Former Friends. I've been addicted to Bejeweled since my Palm days, and while Mum prefers Bejeweled, I play Bejeweled Blitz. She also plays solitaire, although her favorite solitaire hasn't been updated yet for iOS 8. My other favorite is Hay Day, a total play at your own speed game.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Thank you, but I was specifically inquiring about 'Bejeweled'.

I already have Bejeweled on my 5s - it stopped working after installing iOS8.0 (later 8.02).
I was wondering if it's likely to be updated - then start working again?

Is there a normal time frame for games to be updated?

(Thank you)

My reply was directed to the original OP - not your question. Sorry for any confusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.