Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Myiphone7
Banned

Has Apple beat itself by this point

I feel like the apple craze is becoming less. Their stock is down 200. Smartphones have become very good.

It's like when computer first came out every new model was all the rage or every new windows edition.

Now nobody cares. It's maxed out.

I feel like it comes to a point, like with cars, where once you have leather, heated seats, wood grain, navi, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, backup cam, and even air conditioned seats....

You REALLY don't care for night vision in the new model lol
Myiphone7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:22 AM   #2
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

To be competitive, Apple seems to haved moved from a 12 month release schedule to more of a 6-8 month schedule. Just because a new iDevice comes out does not make your 5,6,7 or 8 month old device any less useful. I think we need to stop worrying about the latest and greatest and go with what you need. So if the iPhone 6 comes out with a new feature your 5 can't do and you want said feature, then by all means, upgrade. If you don't need that feature, then stay happy with your 5.
mpayne2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:38 PM   #3
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
Has Apple beat itself by this point
Nope. That statement's equivalent to "everything has been invented already" IMO.
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:11 PM   #4
omenatarhuri
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
I feel like the apple craze is becoming less. Their stock is down 200. Smartphones have become very good.

It's like when computer first came out every new model was all the rage or every new windows edition.

Now nobody cares. It's maxed out.

I feel like it comes to a point, like with cars, where once you have leather, heated seats, wood grain, navi, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, backup cam, and even air conditioned seats....

You REALLY don't care for night vision in the new model lol
Now, remember that what you say might hold water for western countries, the developing countries will still go thru this at some point.

I think Apple's content selling, ecosystem and powerful brand protect it somewhat from commoditization. iPod continued to dominate the MP3 market all tho anyone could have a similar device (less the wheel).
omenatarhuri is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:20 PM   #5
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Stock pricing has nothing to do with Apple Craze.

I can't buy a Wifi iPad mini. They're sold out. That says the craze is still there.

Sure the competition is closer but Apple is really far ahead. As a competitor when you finally catch up they veer off and disrupt another market.

My Apple TV is used every single day yet there's more that can be done (network storage access, more 3rd party resources, better airplay)

Apple now has Bluetooth 4.0 in every Mac computer save for the Mac Pro. We still don't know what type of peripherals and accessories are coming but rest assured there will be product.

If you yourself are unsure about where things can or should head then you need to Geek up a bit more. This landscape is changing fast and you don't have time to sit around.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:59 PM   #6
smoledman
macrumors 65816

It's almost 2013, everyone makes great laptops, smartphones, tablets. Apple isn't even competing in the enterprise space so the screws will continue to tighten.

A gripe I have with my early 2010 iMac is that the built-in speakers have almost no bass.
smoledman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:07 AM   #7
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
It's almost 2013, everyone makes great laptops, smartphones, tablets. Apple isn't even competing in the enterprise space so the screws will continue to tighten.

A gripe I have with my early 2010 iMac is that the built-in speakers have almost no bass.
Apple's penetration into the Enterprise is up in the last few years, driven by iPhone and iPad sakes.

The MacBook Air is turning into one of the most popular laptops for traveling executives on the market according to CEO magazine.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:36 PM   #8
smoledman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
Apple's penetration into the Enterprise is up in the last few years, driven by iPhone and iPad sakes.

The MacBook Air is turning into one of the most popular laptops for traveling executives on the market according to CEO magazine.
By enterprise I mean backoffice software & servers. I mean PAAS, IAAS.

Also traveling executives are hardly representative of the entire market.
smoledman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:38 PM   #9
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

People place too much expectation on Apple. Technology can only advance so quickly. Make no mistake -- there will be peaks and troughs.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:32 PM   #10
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
By enterprise I mean backoffice software & servers. I mean PAAS, IAAS.

Also traveling executives are hardly representative of the entire market.
You've said it yourself. Backoffice systems are everywhere, with lots of competition - so margins are low. Apple does not tend to compete in that type of market segment. They do best in the low volume niches with products that work so elegantly that people with money (executives) will pay the healthy margins that Apple charges.

It is not about whether the technology is "state of the art".... it's how Apple packages it into something where the technology stays out of the way while you create your content. It may have limited technologies, but executives are not engineers. They want a product that just works for them.

Apple isn't interested in the "entire market" - they are interested in providing really good solutions to a limited range of people.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:16 PM   #11
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

Competition has gotten stiff, but I dont believe Apple has lost its edge.
iHailCarlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion