Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
This is an i5/4/256 2013 MBA 11", I'm experiencing a bug where I'll close the lid of the laptop and I'm losing between 5% to 6% every 2 hours that the laptop is sleeping.

PowerNap is off while on battery.

Anybody with the same issue?

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
This is an i5/4/256 2013 MBA 11", I'm experiencing a bug where I'll close the lid of the laptop and I'm losing between 5% to 6% every 2 hours that the laptop is sleeping.

Are you using maverick's?

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA

Are you using time machine? Make sure your MBA isn't backing up on battery power... This can drastically decrease battery life.

2yyr1c8.png

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
I've noticed this, too. Several percentages drop when the lid is closed.

Last night the computer went to sleep with 38% at 12am, today at 7:30am after the lid was open the reading on the battery was 31% and after a minute jumped to 28% and after 10 minutes to 22%

I get superb battery life if i do not close the lid overnight but as soon as I do strange things happen.

When I open the Console, I can se that the computer woke up 2 times at 1am and at 4am to do a lot of different things, caldav sync, thunderbolt check, address book sync, joined wifi etc.

I just don;t want to put the computer to sleep now as I know that I'll be losing battery, searching on the forums and Apple discussions the majority of users are losing 1% overnight then there is maybe something I'm doing wrong, there is a bug in the latest ML update or the computer is no good.

I've disabled every possible functionality that will prevent the Mac going to sleep, no time machines, no wake on pan, no Powernap, no shared drivers, no file sharing, no screen sharing, etc.

----------

Are you using time machine? Make sure your MBA isn't backing up on battery power... This can drastically decrease battery life.

I never setup Time Machine on the Air.

ApplNat

macrumors member
May 18, 2013
Had the same thing happen on my new 13" MBA. Try doing a test and forcing the laptop to sleep before closing the lid and then see if it happens with that (it doesn't on mine). I suspect a faulty sleep function using only the lid closing, but that's just a theory and not an accusation of anything.

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Had the same thing happen on my new 13" MBA. Try doing a test and forcing the laptop to sleep before closing the lid and then see if it happens with that (it doesn't on mine). I suspect a faulty sleep function using only the lid closing, but that's just a theory and not an accusation of anything.

Thank you, I'm thinking as the computer woke up at almost 4Am (and I went to sleep pass midnight) is that it went to hibernation or standby mode and saved everything to the flash storage and that's where the battery drain will happen but in the Console.app I'm seeing a lot of different activity.

I'll try your suggestion with forcing sleep and I'll report back.

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010

Update on the battery status.

I've forced the computer to sleep instead of closing the lid at 10:04am with 89% charge.

I just woke up the laptop at 4:06pm with 88% and after a minute dropped to 85%

I'm not sure about this, it seems it is doing the same as with the lid closed.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008

I've forced the computer to sleep instead of closing the lid at 10:04am with 89% charge.

Download Battery Guru from the app store. Will put the current draw in your menu bar which might be helpful to detect if something is drawing a lot of power constantly. FYI, with normal use (browsing, office suite, twitter app) and screen brightness at 75% i am at about 600-700 mAH.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
Same thing with my late 2012 11" model. Battery drops by 1% every two minutes on ML and Mavericks with minor usage and nothing syncing apart from email app opened. Been at apple store and they basically refused to exchange the battery after they've run a hardware check which was a pass. Not sure what to do next.

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom

On macs while sleeping they can lose 1% of battery per hour (24% per day sleeping) this happens quite a lot.
Yours sleeping 6 hours and loosing 4% is pretty normal now to be honest.

DoctorK4

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
Did you use that terminal command to change display/computer sleep behavior? If so, I wonder if could be causing "side-effects."

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'm having pretty much the same issue with my brand new MBA 13". This has happened twice now.

Two nights ago, I closed the lid with about 80% left on the battery. The next morning, I go to use it and it seems a little warm. I thought it was odd, but it was sitting in a media cabinet with my DVR (which runs pretty hot) sitting on the shelf above.

Well, I go to open the lid and it won't turn on. The power button does nothing. I plug it in and after a couple of minutes, I get it to turn on. I did have trouble getting it restarted, though ... it took several tries.

Then today, I go to use my MBA and it won't turn back on. I know it had about 90% on the battery from last night. Completely drained battery again.

I'm running 10.8.4 and the only thing that I installed that could be suspicious was Any Screen Record Pro to capture screencasts. This app was recommended in the latest issue of AppleMagazine. I did download the GeatdyAudioDevice driver to allow the screen recorder to capture audio. Not sure if this is the culprit.

I'm gonna do a SMC reset first and see if that helps. In the meantime, does anyone else have success fixing this issue?

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
I have the 13" i7 MBA and dont have this issue. I can close the lid for 24hrs and lose a few % at most. Mine has neot been charged for overa week now and when I went to bed last night it was 50% exactly. I just opened it, so thats about 14 hours later and it's 49%.

I dont turn off - just close the lid and walk away, and when I open the lid I get prompted for a password and it's up and running in seconds, which is why I love the MBA's. The 2011 13" was the same - maybe 5% per day loss when closed.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
OK, here's an update.

Tried the SMC reset. Didn't work. Turns out that it's more than just the battery draining on sleep. My MBA doesn't want to restart properly ... the screen shuts off, but it just hangs. I could tell because the caps lock button would stay lit up indefinately.

When I force a shut-down (holding power for 10 seconds), a subsequent startup leads to an error screen.

So I read some other threads and someone blamed the latest version of Flash. This sounds right as I had installed Flash accidentally and it seems that these issues happened afterwards. I uninstalled Flash and the problem still persisted.

I ended up erasing the SSD and re-installing from scratch. Viola! It worked.

Not really sure what the problem was, but I want to blame Adobe. It could have also been using Migration Assistant to copy over apps from a Snow Leopard Hackintosh.

ft

DarkoDonnie

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
but I want to blame Adobe. It could have also been using Migration Assistant to copy over apps from a Snow Leopard Hackintosh.

I love blaming abobe for resource problems as much as the next person but the latter sounds more at likely. clean installs always a charm

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I love blaming abobe for resource problems as much as the next person but the latter sounds more at likely. clean installs always a charm
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Migration from Snow Leopard was the culprit. I just like blaming Adobe, MSFT, or Google whenever I get the chance. ;)

Would a violin have worked as well, do you think?
You know what, you're a wise@$$. ;) This whole time, I thought voila was spelled that way. And I took 3 years of French. I have to go back and look at what else I've been wrong about all these years.

--------------

In the end, the problem has been fixed. I went to bed last night with 78% charge. Closed the lid to let it sleep. Woke it up this morning (7 hours later) with 77%.

Now I have to go through the time consuming task of copying over my iTunes and iPhoto libraries from other computers. I should have bought that Thunderbolt/FW adapter. It's a pain to remove HDDs and stick them in caddies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.