Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Nakana
macrumors newbie

Maps: Let me turn off 3D!

Has anyone else been having issues engaging 3D by accident when trying to zoom in/out.

I don't think that I'll ever use it aside from when I'm in navigation mode. Can we agree that it needs to have the option to be disabled?
Nakana is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:10 PM   #2
johns945
macrumors newbie

Yes, please!
johns945 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:03 AM   #3
hyteckit

By accident? No.

If you accidentally turned it on, why don't you just tap on the '3D' button to turn it off.
hyteckit is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:47 AM   #4
brylliant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakana View Post
Has anyone else been having issues engaging 3D by accident when trying to zoom in/out.

I don't think that I'll ever use it aside from when I'm in navigation mode. Can we agree that it needs to have the option to be disabled?
The only way to turn 3D on, other than the button, is a two finger swipe up. You must have done that.
brylliant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Nakana
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brylliant View Post
The only way to turn 3D on, other than the button, is a two finger swipe up. You must have done that.
Exactly...sorry I wasn't more specific. Switching between zooming and panning I have accidentally engaged the 3D with the 2 finger swipe gesture many times.

How often do people view their maps from a 3D perspective when they are not driving? Someone might say "not much now...but when they experience the way that Apple has done it then it could change". All the same I call shenanigans. having a 3D perspective might be nice for a Maps+ app or an "Apple Earth" sort of app that does flyovers and other things that are practically useless for average users, but for me - let alone my family - I would be hard pressed to dream up a less meaningful feature.

To put it in perspective I have engaged 3D maps about 50 times. I only intended to use it maybe 2 or 3 times. I call that a problem.

Really I just want a way to disable the gesture support - keep the 3D button if it pleases the engineers that worked really hard on it.

How about this...hold down the 3D button to bring up a toggle switch under your thumb that you can choose to enable or disable the 3D features outside of driving. Come on ...figure this one out.
Nakana is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:37 AM   #6
MozMan68
macrumors 65816

Let me get this straight...you want Apple to change it because you have accidentally viewed maps in 3d mode 50 times by not swiping/pinching properly?
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Nakana
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMan68 View Post
Let me get this straight...you want Apple to change it because you have accidentally viewed maps in 3d mode 50 times by not swiping/pinching properly?
Or tweak the threshold for how much two finger swipe must be used to enable the 3D.

I'm assuming that I'm not the only person that has had this problem. Apple makes solutions that aren't tailored to fit every person's taste, but rather solutions that are tailored to fit the use patterns of a majority of users.

I'm betting on most users finding support for this gesture obnoxious, not convenient.

So yes, MozMan68. That's exactly what I'm saying. Thanks for jumping in just to be a dick btw.
Nakana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:59 PM   #8
MozMan68
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So yes, MozMan68. That's exactly what I'm saying. Thanks for jumping in just to be a dick btw.
My pleasure.

I'm glad your one post about this "issue" represents the majority of iPhone/maps users in the world.
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:40 AM   #9
hyteckit

Quote:
Exactly...sorry I wasn't more specific. Switching between zooming and panning I have accidentally engaged the 3D with the 2 finger swipe gesture many times.
Then don't use 2 finger swipe. You only need one finger to pan.

Or learn to zoom in with one finger tap and zoom out with two finger tap.

It's like asking Microsoft to disable the right click in Windows when you accidentally right click when you wanted to left click.

However, I do wish Apple will allow me to zoom in/out with just one finger when I want to use my phone with just one hand.

Last edited by hyteckit; Dec 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6