Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
hi all, this ultimately applies to osx as a whole, but i thought i'd try it here in photography since that is when and how i've come across this...

i use 'get info' a lot when wanting to view info of files i have stored. i've noticed that upon first opening the 'get info' window on a photo, the exif data stored under 'more info' will be displayed. but if i close the 'get info' window and open it again for that same image, the exif contained under more info is missing.

i've casually searched for previous threads, so i may have missed this already. my ML version is current, in addition to using iphoto (for iphone pics) and LR4 (for editing only selected images), i generally just like to manually import images into folders without the help of any program. so far, this disappearing act can happen to any image.

has/does this happen to anyone else?

cheers

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
hi all, this ultimately applies to osx as a whole, but i thought i'd try it here in photography since that is when and how i've come across this...

i use 'get info' a lot when wanting to view info of files i have stored. i've noticed that upon first opening the 'get info' window on a photo, the exif data stored under 'more info' will be displayed. but if i close the 'get info' window and open it again for that same image, the exif contained under more info is missing.

i've casually searched for previous threads, so i may have missed this already. my ML version is current, in addition to using iphoto (for iphone pics) and LR4 (for editing only selected images), i generally just like to manually import images into folders without the help of any program. so far, this disappearing act can happen to any image.

cheers

I use Get Info a lot as well. I know that I can't help you fix it. But I can let you know that it does not happen to me on my iMac 2012 i7 3.4. Current as well to 10.8.3. I have opened dozens of photos, some up to 6 times in a row and it always shows my exif. I have tried it both with right click or CMD + I and same results. I import my photos with Photoshop CS6 and use Bridge CS6 for organizing them and adding metadata. Not sure what is happening to yours.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I've noticed this problem too. I have seen it on my Macbook Pro with 10.8.2. It has irritated me for quite a while but never enough to look into it further. I'd assumed it is a bug in OSX. Sorry, not much help but at least you're not the only one!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
... my ML version is current, in addition to using iphoto (for iphone pics) ...

cheers
Yes, it is happening to me. Though I had not noticed it before. I'm at 10.8.2. Are you "current" at 10.8.2 or at 10.8.3? Just 'cause of the comment below. Perhaps it's a bug that was fixed in 10.8.3?
... Current as well to 10.8.3. ... Not sure what is happening to yours.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
thanks for the responses - i'm glad to see that i'm not crazy...

yes, i should say that this was happening in 10.8.2... i'm fairly sure but not certain that it was happening in previous versions as well.

the other day, i upgraded to 10.8.3, and i have not yet tinkered with my portfolio. in the coming days, i'll look to see if the exif data does NOT appear.

is this happening to anyone else?

ciao

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.