Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:03 PM   #1
VaatiKaiba
macrumors 6502

External Hard Drive for iTunes - Thunderbolt or USB?

I've almost filled my iMac's hard drive, and so I'm looking at getting an external drive to house my iTunes library. I'm thinking of getting a 3TB drive. The only Thunderbolt drive I can find is a LaCie one that's over twice the price of a comparable USB (2.0 - my Mac doesn't have 3.0) drive.

Is it worth, for iTunes in particular, getting a Thunderbolt drive given the extra cost? I have an Apple TV as well, if that makes any difference (would streaming be slowed down?). Or would I be ok to get a USB drive (and perhaps another one for backing up!)?

Thanks in advance!
VaatiKaiba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:48 PM   #2
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaatiKaiba View Post
I've almost filled my iMac's hard drive, and so I'm looking at getting an external drive to house my iTunes library. I'm thinking of getting a 3TB drive. The only Thunderbolt drive I can find is a LaCie one that's over twice the price of a comparable USB (2.0 - my Mac doesn't have 3.0) drive.

Is it worth, for iTunes in particular, getting a Thunderbolt drive given the extra cost? I have an Apple TV as well, if that makes any difference (would streaming be slowed down?). Or would I be ok to get a USB drive (and perhaps another one for backing up!)?
USB 2.0 will read / write data at about 34 MB per second. Reading an average music file of 4 minutes / 256kbit/sec takes a quarter second. Reading a 2 GB video file takes a minute. For video playback, that's no problem at all. Look at it like that: For the same money, you get one Thunderbolt drive, or a USB drive plus a backup drive. If your original drive goes bad, the backup drive saves you 100 times the time the Thunderbolt drive could ever save you.
gnasher729 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:05 PM   #3
FireWire2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaatiKaiba View Post

Thanks in advance!
Get this box, then you no longer need an external, just pop-in ANY SATA drive and ready to go.
http://www.amazon.com/enclosure-supp.../dp/B00DJB5R3C
FireWire2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:40 AM   #4
eXan
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
With USB2 you won't have issues streaming the highest bitrate video iTunes and ATV can support.

Thunder bolt is for high-tech stuff only.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice