Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Russ-NewToMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2013
I've seen this problem posted before, but cannot locate it and the resolution provided.
I use Nortons on my MacPro and run Parallels with Windows 7 operating system. I only use Quicken in this VM.
Everytime I start Parallels I get a message advising Parallels is trying to access the internet, Allow or Block. I always select Allow, and ensure the I check 'Don't ask for this application again'.
If I close Parallels and re-open again, I get the same messages. It appears that the 'Don't ask' checkbox is being ignored.
I have added Parallels.Deskdesktop.app to the Firewall configuration to allow incoming and outgoing interent connections, and i can see it in the configuration list of applications to allow.
Does anyone know how to fix this? I saw a resolution once before but cannot find it this time.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
Get rid of Norton, it is a horrible, horrible piece of software. Most likely doing more harm than good.

This is exactly the advise I was going to give.

And I suspect there are many more where ours came from too.

Other than in the late 90s/early 2000s when it was ok, all my experience with Norton has been negative. There are plenty of far better alternatives.

----------

LitteSnitch is a good alternative.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Not very helpful Cylon. If I wanted a sarcastic reply I wouldn't have asked for assistance.

He is not being sarcastic.

I've been with PC hardware and software for over two decades. Ever Since John W Thompson ran away IBM after mucking up OS/2 (he was the general manager of the OS/2 division at IBM at the time) and becoming CEO of Symantec (Norton), their software quality plummeted. When an email provider I had (a long time ago) used Norton for antivirus means, it let payload through.

Norton is true trash. Utter garbage. Thank him. Not the people warning you about Norton's lack of quality - it is slow, buggy, has let malware right through...

Nobody is being sarcastic, but if you want a good solution recommended to balance the negativity, go with Kaspersky or Trend. Both of those companies put out good products and seem to have good support and frequent definition updates.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
Get rid of Norton, it is a horrible, horrible piece of software. Most likely doing more harm than good.

Very true, Norton hogs too many system resources, is extremely slow to update their definitions, and catches only the weakest most common malware and virus examples.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.