Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Any game that supports a controller (also labeled as gamepads, joypads, etc.)

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
There are a few solutions to make PS3 controller work for any game. I tried a couple but I prefered Game Companion from the Mac Appstore.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Any Feral game in the Mac AppStore that is a controller based game will work with the PS3 without any drivers. Don't use things like Gamepad Companion with Feral games it will just break our built in pad support.

Edwin

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Any Feral game in the Mac AppStore that is a controller based game will work with the PS3 without any drivers. Don't use things like Gamepad Companion with Feral games it will just break our built in pad support.

Edwin

Very correct. If the game supports it then no need to turn it on. Just put out there for the ones that don't.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Very correct. If the game supports it then no need to turn it on. Just put out there for the ones that don't.

Sorry for sounding like a broken record just one of our common support emails is:

I cannot get the pad to work I have installed [insert some third party pad input override software here] and it does not work but you said it does...

I have this now ingrained relax action after years or posting on forums about pad support. :) Now when I see Gamepad Companion mentioned I just remind people that you don't need these apps enabled unless you are using a game which has no pad support.

Everything I have worked on at Feral will have pad support (unless it is not a pad type game).

Edwin

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Sorry for sounding like a broken record just one of our common support emails is:

I have this now ingrained relax action after years or posting on forums about pad support. :) Now when I see Gamepad Companion mentioned I just remind people that you don't need these apps enabled unless you are using a game which has no pad support.

Everything I have worked on at Feral will have pad support (unless it is not a pad type game).

Edwin

I understand. GamePad companion has a Mac Appstore app so it handles within the sandbox. So if it wasn't on would't it's services stop interfering with other items?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I understand. GamePad companion has a Mac Appstore app so it handles within the sandbox. So if it wasn't on would't it's services stop interfering with other items?

Sandbox does not exist (yet) for Mac App Store apps.

Gamepad Companion takes over any connected USB devices so you can make it work like a keyboard by doing this it usually means that the game can no longer access the game pad. You can have it installed you just have to have it turned off when playing a game that already has gamepad support.

Edwin

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Sandbox does not exist (yet) for Mac App Store apps.

Gamepad Companion takes over any connected USB devices so you can make it work like a keyboard by doing this it usually means that the game can no longer access the game pad. You can have it installed you just have to have it turned off when playing a game that already has gamepad support.

Edwin

Oh, I do. I only turn it on when I plan to play a game that does not support controller.

Thanks.

PS: Much love to Feral for helping spread(bringing more to) the Mac Gaming goodness.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA

Edwin

Thank you for the continual pad support on those games.

I do have a question, if using GamePad Companion for unsupported games, would that at all affect the Feral games that already have it? I just have to make sure GamePad Companion is turned off, right?

I have one Feral game that has pad support and a bunch that don't and I don't want to screw up that one game.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Thank you for the continual pad support on those games.

I do have a question, if using GamePad Companion for unsupported games, would that at all affect the Feral games that already have it? I just have to make sure GamePad Companion is turned off, right?

I have one Feral game that has pad support and a bunch that don't and I don't want to screw up that one game.

if you make sure it is disabled / off you will be fine :)

Edwin

Gu1b0

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013

Edwin

nice to know ^^

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.