Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I bought a MacBook Air used from someone and brought it in to the store for repair. After I left and got the work authorization email, I realized that it had the previous owner's name tied to the device. Will this be a problem when I try to pick it up? Do you need to show ID when picking up a Mac from repair?

I went to My Support Profile (https://supportprofile.apple.com) to try to register it to my name, but it says it's already been registered. Should I contact the previous owner and have them deregister it?

Thanks

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I had no issue doing the same with my iPhone - even had my 3GS replaced with a new iPhone 4. I had bought the 3GS from someone on Craigslist about 6 months prior. I did tell them up front, but the Genius I spoke with said it wouldn't be a problem.

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
That's good to know. I ended up calling the Apple Store and telling them the previous owner's name was on it, but reconfirming it was me that brought it in. I think I shouldn't have a problem picking it up.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.