Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
as the title indicates, the home button doesn't work anymore (OTA update) has anyone else experienced this? I highly doubt the button is kaputt when it worked 10 minutes ago flawlessly.

ipad3 16GB

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Try soft-resetting the button...

1. Go into any Apple app (ie. iTunes, Music, Video, etc)
2. Hold the top power button until "slide to power off" shows on the screen
3. Instead of powering off, hold down the home button until the app exits

This resets the iOS portion of your home button, see if that works!

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I am experiencing the same thing, updated to iOS 6.1 and now, i really need to press home button very hard. Anyone having any fixes ...

I tried the soft reset of home button as option, but that hasn't helped as yet

raziel2001au

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Upgraded to 6.1 and had the same problem.

After a long frustrating time I started wondering if it might be something related to accessibility... So I went into system settings, general, accessibility (my first time exploring this area of the settings actually), home-click-speed (which seemed most promising).

Initially I set it to slow just to see if it works... the home button was now behaving reliably, but of course, it behaved slowly (since it has to wait longer to determine how many clicks you are going to do). For no apparent reason, I then switched to slowest (though I'm sure you don't actually have to do that, just mentioning it for completeness). After confirming that my home button was now working correctly, I set it back to default.

End result: It now works perfectly, very responsive and no different to how it was before upgrading to 6.1. I even restarted the iPad to confirm it wasn't just a fluke. As far as I can tell, it's fixed.

I decided to post this since the other home button fix solutions online just didn't seem to work. Anyway, hope this will help out at least a few people who are running into this problem.

- Raz

aarif2012

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2012
Anyone has same experience with mini?

I am just hesitating whether to upgrade or not.

raziel2001au

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Guys, it's an easy fix... Just refer to my post. I don't think it's a wide spread issue anyway since it'd make news headlines then. So if you're affected, change your home button click speed under accessibility, then change it back to default.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Guys, it's an easy fix... Just refer to my post. I don't think it's a wide spread issue anyway since it'd make news headlines then. So if you're affected, change your home button click speed under accessibility, then change it back to default.

This worked for me. The fault started in iOS 6.0, I updated to 6.1 and it was still there until I did this.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Same here come on apple

My ipad 4 64gb + lte was droped so i got a replacement, and now the stupid home button doesen't work after a while of no use or multitasking which recognizes as a search function

3rd replacement now !!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.