Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegreypatch

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2012
This will not stop me buying Mac mini i7 amd 6630 this weekend. Life is too short.. I hate waiting!

your right there, but what is one month?.. as soon as you get it 4 weeks later it out of date, but i suppose in 8/9 months the new MBP MBA will be out of date as they will update or bump up AGAIN!

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Hopefully the MacBook Pro will not be dumbed down through the slimming down.

I prefer the great processing power of the 15" MBP line to any sleekness.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
your right there, but what is one month?.. as soon as you get it 4 weeks later it out of date, but i suppose in 8/9 months the new MBP MBA will be out of date as they will update or bump up AGAIN!

Apple will not bumping their product anytime soon. Earliest is fall..

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Bull f***king ****... show me ONE shred of evidence saying that DVD, CD, and Blu-Ray technology are GOING AWAY anytime soon... not everybody drinks that kool-aid in which you obviously are indulging.

Really? Ok:

Exhibit one: Macbook Air. The shape of notebooks to come from Apple. Steve said so.

Exhibit two: Mac Mini - where's the ODD?

Exhibit three: Apple TV. For audio and visual media available from Apple, just not on disk.

If you really want to hold onto disk drives, you are going to have to look away from Apple and even then, not for much longer. A slew of Ultrabooks are due this year, none with any ODDs and tablets are going to be the big computing growth area right now.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
No one ever actually said that.

In all fairness.. at the time, not much.

Lol, didn't Microsoft say that back in the day?

----------

I am more interested in SSDs across the line and more standard RAM

and remove the Glossy screen please.

CPU upgrade is just increment, so it is OKAY.

I don't get why everyone hates the Glossy screens, matte screens are absolutely terrible at color representation...

----------

i bet they drop the term "pro" , just macbook and air.

They'll bring the Macbrook Air into the pro line up, removing the 13 inch pro, and they'll just call them Macbooks.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
Waiting patiently for updated mini ...
Me too.

I'm eager to see what they come up with in the Mac Mini and iMac product lines. The new iPad is so awesome, I'm thinking of switching up my whole setup: from {MBA, TBD} to either {iPad, Mac Mini, TBD} or {iPad, iMac}.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
That's not entirely correct. It's an annoying set of rules. Intel enables hyperthreading in i5/i7 dual core cpus (not sure on i3). Intel disables hyperthreading in the quad cpus aside from the i7 models. You shouldn't try to extrapolate too much from this. Just look at real performance tests rather than benchmarks.

My OG i3 530 has hyper threading, but idk about sandy/ivy bridge

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
All of Intel's big partners have had access to the chips (proto and pre-production) for months, and are probably getting production chips already.

Intel's "release date" is when vendors can sell systems to end users - not when Intel ships chips to vendors.

The idea that Apple gets "early access" is mostly a myth spread by Apple fans - in most cases the "early access" claim falls apart when scrutinized.

could be right. either way, hopefully they're released next month. i mainly wanna see a higher resolution display

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
well, just bought mine. hopefully the upgrade is not too significant. i saved like $600 from retail if i would have bought everything(not including RAM) from Apple, so i am not complaining. This the only time i havent been a bleeding edge early adopter. It feels weird being at the end of a product generation.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
The next MacBook Pro will not have an ODD. They can't be any thinner than they are in the 2011 MBP. It still takes up too much space.

The ODD is going away. If you can't afford $30 for an external ODD then I suggest you look at more affordable brands of laptops.

Bull f***king ****... show me ONE shred of evidence saying that DVD, CD, and Blu-Ray technology are GOING AWAY anytime soon... not everybody drinks that kool-aid in which you obviously are indulging.

I don't think skullbussa was saying that optical discs were going extinct just that the drives would not be included in the next MBPs. I personally have no problem with using an external ODD as long as the extra space (if there is any left after this supposedly redesign) is used for good. Extra ports or extra storage would be nice.

Last edited:

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
They have the ability to hyper thread but the function is disabled for reasons unknown. Maybe Intel need some way of differentiating the i5 and i7 otherwise they are virtually identical.

i3 desktop = HT, no TB
mobile = HT, no TB

i5 desktop = no HT (except 1 model), TB
mobile = HT, TB

i7 desktop = HT, TB
mobile = HT, TB

i7 Extreme = all same as i7

HT=Hyper Threading
TB=Turbo Boost

;)

----------

My OG i3 530 has hyper threading, but idk about sandy/ivy bridge

All sandy/ivy bridge i3's have HT, but no TB.

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
No T-Bolt

i3 desktop = HT, no TB
mobile = HT, no TB

i5 desktop = no HT (except 1 model), TB
mobile = HT, TB

i7 desktop = HT, TB
mobile = HT, TB

i7 Extreme = all same as i7

;)

----------

All sandy/ivy bridge i3's have HT, but no TB.

No Intel CPUs/chipsets have T-Bolt support - whether Sandy or Ivy Bridge. It always requires a rather large additional chip.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
He might mean turbo boost for the CPU?

OMG - I didn't consider that TB could mean:
  • Thunderbolt
  • (incorrectly) 2^40 bytes
  • 10^12 bytes
  • Tuberculosis
  • Trade Balance
  • Throttle Body
  • Torpedo Boat
  • The Beatles
  • Tegami Bachi
  • Toribash
  • Trinity Blood
  • True Blood
  • Tampa Bay
  • Tvøroyrar Bóltfelag
  • Taco Bell
  • Teenybopper
  • Tiger Balm
  • Treasury Bill
  • TrønderBilen
  • Trés Bien

but in context, it seems likely that the ambiguous acronym "TB" refers to Turbo Boost.

My bad.... but why the hell don't people type a few more letters so that what they mean is obvious? It's standard English to say something like "Turbo Boost (TB)" on the first reference, and then use TB afterwards.

chrisdee

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
No six-core processors ?

I thought will Ivy Bridge iMac finally would get hexa-core cpu.

Dazzer1977

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
Mac Pro

Hi all I'm new here so be nice...

I brought the daddy 17" MBP back in November when they did the last refresh. I upgraded the processor, the memory, the hard drive and got the anti-glare display and ruddy love the machine. Just a tad over £2500 (before all my special discounts :p) and worth every penny. I'm hearing the refresh will be available mid May in the UK. Just hope the next refresh isn't too much better!

The rumours I've heard are a 3rd gen i7's with a 1tb hard drive. I can live with that :D

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Current 2720QM quad core processor in 15" MBP has a TDP of 45W, resulting in high system temperature and increased fan speeds. I don't see how Apple could decrease the size of the MBP and put in a quad core Ivy Bridge with a 45W TDP. So it's back to dual core systems until Haswell comes out?

Edit: Unless they ditch the dedicated graphics card entirely...

Exactly. These chips are not going to launch new MacBooks of any kind. Apple only uses 45W chips on BTO, not on the base model. It's too hot and hurts their battery specs, and most people don't need the marginal speed boost these chips provide over the 35W chips.

Expect new iMacs this month, but not new PBs until there are 35W quad-cores.

Intel is to blame here. Just as they were very late in delivering a low wattage chip for MBP (keeping Apple stuck on the Core2Duo), they again are delivering hot, power hungry chips first. This is what having one supplier leads to.

No incentive to deliver a proper product in a timely manner.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
iMac for me this year! (before Christmas shopping I hope)

How do you know that apple will not bring out new iMac before summer?

And what are the rumors here of 6 core than the standard dual core and quad core ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.