Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cognus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Texas
I know this is simple to mac folks so embarrassed to ask: i have refurb'd an imac running 10.3, so I downloaded opera 9 which tells me "drag it to the application folder", and I did, and nothing happens. how do I tell imac to "install the blasted application" ??
and while on the subject: is that truly the best browser I can hope for?
thanks
c

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
What did you expect to happen?
Normally, you download a dmg, then open it, and you see an opera icon, then you drag it to the applications folder. then you close the dmg, and click on Opera in the applications folder and it should open.

cognus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Texas
what I expected was for the Mac Installer to run, ask me to verify, provide password for installing the app, install it, then it would run.
It did not install - no msg's or anything just did not install.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
For some programs, all you have to do is "drag it to the applications folder".

If you did that, then look in your applications folder, find the .app file, and double-click to run it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
what I expected was for the Mac Installer to run, ask me to verify, provide password for installing the app, install it, then it would run.

Opera (like most OS X apps) downloads in a .DMG disk image file. You need to double click on that .DMG file and it will open up a Finder window with the Opera app inside the window. Drag the Opera app from that window into the /Applications folder and you will be all set. Then click the up arrow eject icon next to the .DMG file in the Finder to close the disk image.

Lampmeister

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
Fort Worth

Too bad that you can't ask a simple question without someone talking down to you, isn't it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.