Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello,

PLEASE HELP!

How do i connect a windows 8 laptop to my server running 10.6.8?

Do i need to change the settings of the server?
What do i need to do on the laptop? I can't find any info online for this configuration...

thanks for any help!

r.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
do you mean connect as in connect to a SMB file share? or connect as in bind to OD ? or something else ?

We have 3 macs accessing files from a 10.6.8 os x Server through ethernet. The mac's also can connect via wifi.

We have a guest computer trying to access the server either by wifi or ethernet, neither will work. I do not know how to configure the server or the windows 8 computer to access the mac mini server...

... any suggestions? is there more info that I could give you?

r.

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
I am a mac fanatic, but I found after fighting with Win7/8 clients for a few months, the best option was a Windows 2012 Essentials server running in Fusion! No matter how I tried I could not get permissions to propagate to files shared from Win clients on OSXS. Finally decided to give up!

I know not the right answer, but that's where I am.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
I am a mac fanatic, but I found after fighting with Win7/8 clients for a few months, the best option was a Windows 2012 Essentials server running in Fusion! No matter how I tried I could not get permissions to propagate to files shared from Win clients on OSXS. Finally decided to give up!

I know not the right answer, but that's where I am.

wow. that's really horrible...

... is it?

r.

----------

what if i'm only concerned with the windows 8 computer to be able to read files, not necessarily write them?

thanks,
r.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I have a MT Lion Server and have no problems connecting a Windows 8 Laptop. I just using a SMB share. Is SMB sharing turned on at the server?

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
I have a MT Lion Server and have no problems connecting a Windows 8 Laptop. I just using a SMB share. Is SMB sharing turned on at the server?

yes it is. what else do i need to do to connect to the server?

is that the only server setting I need to enable? is the rest done from the win8 computer?

r.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Are you receiving any errors?

I'm running MLS and I had (replaced with an iMac now) Windows XP box and I had to make sure the WorkGroup setting (Network) was set to the same as the XP system.

Not sure if that's the same issue but, it might work.

Please detail (screen shots?) any error messages that you might get. Maybe more details on your current settings on the Server and PC.

voigtstr

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Do you have bonjour installed on the windows machines? (not sure if needed but can't hurt :)

Also an option is to have a USB disk hooked up to an apple router. My pc's have never had an issue seeing that.

For shares already set up on the OS X server, you should be able to open file explorer in windows, browse down to network, click on the server name, it will ask you for a login, provide a login that has rights to the file shares, it should let you in. It worked for me anyway...

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
you guys are all fantastic!

I need to revive this thread...

So I will be setting up an (2009) imac to run windows 7, and that machine will need to access our mac mini server running osc 10.6.8.

WINDOWS 7 ---> MAC MINI SERVER OSX 10.6.8...? Is this possible and how????????

thank you sooooo much for your help!

r.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.