Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eli727

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Atlanta
Is it possible to hook up an older Apple Cinema HD Display (think its around a 2005 model, aluminum build, approx. 23" maybe) monitor to my new MBA 13"?

The monitor has a power adapter with it that looks to have a DVI input, a firewire input, and a USB input. (I didn't research before and I bought a thunderbolt to VGA connector, but then realized a minute ago that its not a second USB but a fire port input!)

Can I make this work? (Its just sitting around my office not getting use) HELP!

Thank you!

Nov 28, 2010
located
You need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter.
Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"
from

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The above is correct, however, you will not need Dual Link unless it is a 30" screen, and the firewire is optional, as it just connects to a hub in the screen.

TEG

Eli727

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Atlanta
The above is correct, however, you will not need Dual Link unless it is a 30" screen, and the firewire is optional, as it just connects to a hub in the screen.

TEG

So what does the Firewire do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.