Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
What is a "real gpu" though?

I would define it as a pci nvidia card (not the laptop model ones you have in iMacs). Then after the card you need to add extra room for the heat it will give off.

Basically yes, I would love it if I could get one with that sort of a GPU. Although at that point you may as well get a tower anyway.

A "real GPU" is the same thing manufacturers put in laptops in this case. I doubt they could fit a PCIe slot and a card in a Mac Mini so obviously it's be a notebook or mobile version of a real GPU. Another way to put it is a "real GPU" is not an Intel integrated GPU.

----------

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an idiot. ...

Out of context, but this made me laugh...we all say this online don't we.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
A "real GPU" is the same thing manufacturers put in laptops in this case. I doubt they could fit a PCIe slot and a card in a Mac Mini so obviously it's be a notebook or mobile version of a real GPU. Another way to put it is a "real GPU" is not an Intel integrated GPU.

----------

Out of context, but this made me laugh...we all say this online don't we.

Heh, talk for yourself.

I'm an idiot.

;)

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC

The internet is REALLY bad at conveying mild humour. :)

My point was I do not consider a "real gpu" to be something that would go in a notebook. Since a PCIe would obviously not fit in a mini putting a "real GPU" in it would make it no longer a mini.

I would love to have a machine like that. Right now there is a jump from the iMac to the pro with nothing that fits if all-in-ones are not for you but you do not really need all the power a MP gives you.

Misaki

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
For people who can not read the Thunderbolt standard from Intel:

You need a IGPU for Thunderbolt pass though and Intel has made it clear if this is not done then thunderbolt will not be permitted on that system. Thus the new Mac Pro will not have Thunderbolt. Intel has expressed no willingness to change this.

You need to think a little harder given that Apple has used the Xeon's from the start.

http://ark.intel.com/products/70845/Intel-Core-i7-3970X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-15M-Cache-3_50-GHz

No GPU

Same with all the Socket 2011 parts. When you buy a server with Socket 2011 parts, they usually put some incredibly low-end graphics part on it so that it can be setup. Servers operate headless otherwise. Workstations buy their own beefy GPU parts.

What I expect is that Apple will put a thunderbolt port or two on the system board that utilizes the onboard GPU if present (or "hybrid graphics" mode, otherwise users will be told point blank that the display port on the graphics card is not a thunderbolt part (all ATI cards have DP ports on them, they just aren't the mini-displayport connectors.)

Given that you can drive like 9 monitors from a single graphics card.

Rampage Dev

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
You need to think a little harder given that Apple has used the Xeon's from the start.

http://ark.intel.com/products/70845/Intel-Core-i7-3970X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-15M-Cache-3_50-GHz

No GPU

Same with all the Socket 2011 parts. When you buy a server with Socket 2011 parts, they usually put some incredibly low-end graphics part on it so that it can be setup. Servers operate headless otherwise. Workstations buy their own beefy GPU parts.

What I expect is that Apple will put a thunderbolt port or two on the system board that utilizes the onboard GPU if present (or "hybrid graphics" mode, otherwise users will be told point blank that the display port on the graphics card is not a thunderbolt part (all ATI cards have DP ports on them, they just aren't the mini-displayport connectors.)

Given that you can drive like 9 monitors from a single graphics card.

And you need to read the spec. It has to be a Integrated GPU (as in on the CPU dye) and not a standalone. Asus tried to create a card that used a Display Port out from a Dedicated GPU and Intel stated that it does not meet the standard and can not be sold. Also there is no Hybrid Mode for Thunderbolt. Read the spec sheet.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Heh, talk for yourself.

I'm an idiot.

;)

The internet is REALLY bad at conveying mild humour. :)

My point was I do not consider a "real gpu" to be something that would go in a notebook. Since a PCIe would obviously not fit in a mini putting a "real GPU" in it would make it no longer a mini.

I would love to have a machine like that. Right now there is a jump from the iMac to the pro with nothing that fits if all-in-ones are not for you but you do not really need all the power a MP gives you.

It might have been better to say I'd love a Mac Mini with something better than an Intel integrated GPU.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
I laughed as I posted it because I knew I'd be caught out - damn you :p

Join the club.... :D

(Y) bingo haha! I love my Mac Mini though!

Yeah, I have an HTPC with an i3 and HD2000 which is pretty solid so I imagine an HD4000 is much better but I want to replace my MacPro with a Mini so would want something a little more capable for no apparent reason other than some measure of future-proofing (at least for a couple years). Heck, the GPU in my MacPro is slower than HD4000 but I'm using it after my good GPU died :(

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yeah, I have an HTPC with an i3 and HD2000 which is pretty solid so I imagine an HD4000 is much better but I want to replace my MacPro with a Mini so would want something a little more capable for no apparent reason other than some measure of future-proofing (at least for a couple years). Heck, the GPU in my MacPro is slower than HD4000 but I'm using it after my good GPU died :(

Don't tell me, it was an 8800 that died ;)

I think the high end Mac Mini is a very solid machine, I'm very happy with my dual core 2011 Mac Mini, even when I was using it as my main machine with 3 VMs, 16GB RAM, 60 safari tabs, and plex/website hosting simultaneously it was still very responsive - and that was only with the stock 5400RPM HDD!!!! So I imagine a SSD or dual SSD in RAID0/1 would be damn impressive as a main machine.

Just need to wait a bit longer for the technology to advance, then we can use ThunderBolt with external graphics cards via PCIe (50gb or 100gb/s TB isn't too far away, more than enough to carry even the higher end res monitors).

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Don't tell me, it was an 8800 that died ;)

I think the high end Mac Mini is a very solid machine, I'm very happy with my dual core 2011 Mac Mini, even when I was using it as my main machine with 3 VMs, 16GB RAM, 60 safari tabs, and plex/website hosting simultaneously it was still very responsive - and that was only with the stock 5400RPM HDD!!!! So I imagine a SSD or dual SSD in RAID0/1 would be damn impressive as a main machine.

Just need to wait a bit longer for the technology to advance, then we can use ThunderBolt with external graphics cards via PCIe (50gb or 100gb/s TB isn't too far away, more than enough to carry even the higher end res monitors).

Yeah, the 8800 died. I got it working using the "baking-it-in-the-oven" routine but it re-died a month later so I tossed it.

I want a Mini that has a dedicated GPU and will wait until it's available. A Thunderbolt GPU isn't ideal as I don't want to buy a tiny computer then have a bunch of stuff connected to it. Prolly will get internal SSD and connect to a NAS for storage. Think the Mini's expected to get an update this Fall so it'll be a bit of a wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.