Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

15danielp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Tucson, Arizona
I can't find the solution anywhere.

I ripped a concert dvd using the Apple TV 3 preset. It plays great in Quicktime with great sound, but it won't "play" in iTunes. When play is on, I just get a still of the video. I can scroll back and forth and all the video is there, but it won't literally "play".

I tried a few times and I changed the extension from m4v to mp4 but that didn't matter. I have a rip of the dvd with standard settings and that plays fine but looks like bad VHS.

The Apple TV preset looks great on quicktime so I was hoping to get this playing on my Apple TV though iTunes.

Thanks for any help.

jthesssin

macrumors regular
May 6, 2013
Matthews NC
Same here...almost

Running a Mid 2010 Mac Mini via HDMI and an Apple TV3 via HDMI.
Used Handbrake to record "A Bug's Life" using the Apple TV3 preset. Plays perfectly fine in quicktime and on my Apple TV3 but cant seem to get it to play on my iTunes, it just gives a still shot of the movie at every location i click on the progress bar. Media is stored on a 2TB Time machine and all my other media plays just fine. I don't really need to watch the movie with iTunes as i have the Apple TV but I'm wondering if this will affect playing on my iPad3... I also used Subler to encode the Metadata and Album Art if that matters

Toubro

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2013
It sounds like both of you have AC-3 as the primary or only sound track in the videofile. If you change this to dolby or stereo, (using Subler for instance), it doesn't affect the picture quality, and will play back fine in iTunes.

15danielp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Tucson, Arizona
It sounds like both of you have AC-3 as the primary or only sound track in the videofile. If you change this to dolby or stereo, (using Subler for instance), it doesn't affect the picture quality, and will play back fine in iTunes.

You're right! Thanks!

I switched the second of the tack options to from "0: English (LPCM) (2.0 ch)" to "1: English (AC3) (5.1 ch)" and used AC3 passthru. I left the first track option on "0: English (LPCM) (2.0 ch)" set to AAC (CoreAudio). Or it might have been the other way around.

So what settings do I use to transfer the dolby 5.1 soundtrack?

Toubro

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2013
You're right! Thanks!

I switched the second of the tack options to from "0: English (LPCM) (2.0 ch)" to "1: English (AC3) (5.1 ch)" and used AC3 passthru. I left the first track option on "0: English (LPCM) (2.0 ch)" set to AAC (CoreAudio). Or it might have been the other way around.

So what settings do I use to transfer the dolby 5.1 soundtrack?

iTunes sadly does not support AC3, which I recently learned that QT now does.
You might find some more information on this in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1577527/

If you have an ATV you can use this instead:
When a video features two soundtracks, the Stereo track should be the default one.
If the ATV detects that the receiver can handle AC3/Surround, it should switch automatically to the AC3 track. If it doesn't you can hold down the center button on the ATV remote and choose the soundtrack manually.
As the ATV can't process AC3, your receiver will have to be able to do this. If it cannot handle AC3 either, you will need to convert the AC3 track to another surround format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.