Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PayamFr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Just installed iOS 7 for my brother-in-law on his 16GB iPhone 5. He is experiencing significant keyboard lag. This is not just while he is in messages. The keyboard lags on any app that the keyboard is up (safari, mail, spotlight, messages). He presses on the keys and and it is delayed by about 5 seconds. When the keyboard is up, it also seems to lag other pressable buttons on that screen. Other than this keyboard lag, the rest of the software operates smoothy without lag. I've been running iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 since beta 1 and have not experienced any lag on my phone.

Has anyone experienced this issue and have any tips on how to fix it? I noticed he had about 1GB left on his phone when I installed it. About 200 apps and 1000 photos were taking up that space, so I think all of this may be causing a slowdown but I am not sure. He deleted some apps but issue is still there. I told him to remove all his photos and import them to his computer, but I wanted to check here and see if something else was causing the keyboard lag. Any help would be great!!!

PayamFr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
I know how to fix it.... Don't install Betas on family/friends phones

Well, I'm running iOS 7 on my primary phone and have had no issues. He has been constantly asking me to install it for him so I finally did. Being that he has an iPhone 5 as well, I did not expect any significant issues. The keyboard lag is extreme on his phone.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Just installed iOS 7 for my brother-in-law on his 16GB iPhone 5. He is experiencing significant keyboard lag. This is not just while he is in messages. The keyboard lags on any app that the keyboard is up (safari, mail, spotlight, messages). He presses on the keys and and it is delayed by about 5 seconds. When the keyboard is up, it also seems to lag other pressable buttons on that screen. Other than this keyboard lag, the rest of the software operates smoothy without lag. I've been running iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 since beta 1 and have not experienced any lag on my phone.

Has anyone experienced this issue and have any tips on how to fix it? I noticed he had about 1GB left on his phone when I installed it. About 200 apps and 1000 photos were taking up that space, so I think all of this may be causing a slowdown but I am not sure. He deleted some apps but issue is still there. I told him to remove all his photos and import them to his computer, but I wanted to check here and see if something else was causing the keyboard lag. Any help would be great!!!

Did u try a hard reset? (Holding power + home button for 15 seconds untill the apple logo pops up.

Also did u do a fresh install or just update it?

PayamFr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Did u try a hard reset? (Holding power + home button for 15 seconds untill the apple logo pops up.

Also did u do a fresh install or just update it?

Yes, I tried a hard reset a couple times and that didn't work. All i did was download the iOS 7 beta 6 file and installed it onto his phone. I did not do a fresh install. How would I go about doing a fresh install now? Should I just restore his phone and set up as new device?

Di4mondz

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
I can tell there is also a lag in the keyboard as well..I type much faster on iOS 6 compared to iOS7 because of the mistakes I made that are probably related to the stability of the OS.

Last edited:

PayamFr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
How do I go about doing a fresh install now?

Last edited:

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I have this lag too. There is a split second delay when you press and when the keycap pops up. It's quite disorienting when typing quickly.

It's strange because in apps not third-party apps, which aren't updated to OS 7, they still use the old keyboard and typing is as smooth as it ever was. Even when I choose Increase Contrast in Accessibility to disable transparencies, the lag is still there.

It doesn't help that the keycap that pops up is narrower than in iOS 6 so visually it seems more "fragile" and less satisfying to press, even thought the touch targets are probably the same.

Di4mondz

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
I have this lag too. There is a split second delay when you press and when the keycap pops up. It's quite disorienting when typing quickly.

It's strange because in apps not third-party apps, which aren't updated to OS 7, they still use the old keyboard and typing is as smooth as it ever was. Even when I choose Increase Contrast in Accessibility to disable transparencies, the lag is still there.

This. Agreed, I can type much faster in third-party apps because of the old keyboard compared to the new iOS 7 keyboard.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I can attest to having a lag on both my iPhone and iPad with iOS 7 that was not there in iOS 6. It is not much, maybe a split sec diff. But it is noticeable at times. I have gotten used to it. And is nearly not as bad as most android keyboards.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Well, I'm running iOS 7 on my primary phone and have had no issues. He has been constantly asking me to install it for him so I finally did. Being that he has an iPhone 5 as well, I did not expect any significant issues. The keyboard lag is extreme on his phone.

Did u install OTA ? Maybe that's why ?

PayamFr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
I can attest to having a lag on both my iPhone and iPad with iOS 7 that was not there in iOS 6. It is not much, maybe a split sec diff. But it is noticeable at times. I have gotten used to it. And is nearly not as bad as most android keyboards.

This is not just a split sec difference though. His phones keyboard delays entry by about 5 seconds. It's extreme.

----------

Did u install OTA ? Maybe that's why ?

Nope. Beta 6 was the first version installed on his phone so I installed it on the computer.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
This happened to me this week when I installed beta 5 on my iphone 5. Just did a reset all settings and rebooted and the keyboard went back to normal.

PayamFr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
This happened to me this week when I installed beta 5 on my iphone 5. Just did a reset all settings and rebooted and the keyboard went back to normal.

Thanks a lot man. This worked! Appreciate the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.