Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:20 AM   #1
A..J
macrumors newbie

Pooch with Mountain Lion

Hello, I am very new to Mac.

I am considering to do "R" parallel computing with new mac minis via Pooch.

Does anyone know whether current version Pooch 1.8.3 is working on Mountain Lion?

Pooch homepage seems not actively managed. They do not reply to my question.

Thanks ahead for your help.
A..J is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:58 AM   #2
switon
macrumors 6502a

RE: xgrid...

Hi A..J,

...not a solution, just a comment...

Yeah, I used to use Xgrid for parallelizing certain calculations before Apple, in their infinite wisdom, decided to do away with Xgrid in ML... Now I'm back to using an "in-house" system, ported from Linux. I don't have a clue why Apple took down Xgrid, it used to be a major selling point for their servers. I guess they just did not want to keep up with the times and support it any longer.

Let us know if you find a good third-party solution...there are a bunch out there, I just don't have experience with them.

Switon

Last edited by switon; Dec 15, 2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added the "not" to "did not want", as it was left out initially...
switon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:45 AM   #3
A..J
macrumors newbie

Hi switon

Thanks for your comment.

I even cannot use Xgrid because it looks like it is not possible to install old version of OS other than ML in new mac series.

By the way, I installed Demo version of Pooch 1.8.3 on ML, I found that it's not working neither.

I think I have to wait until they update the version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switon View Post
Hi A..J,

...not a solution, just a comment...

Yeah, I used to use Xgrid for parallelizing certain calculations before Apple, in their infinite wisdom, decided to do away with Xgrid in ML... Now I'm back to using an "in-house" system, ported from Linux. I don't have a clue why Apple took down Xgrid, it used to be a major selling point for their servers. I guess they just did not want to keep up with the times and support it any longer.

Let us know if you find a good third-party solution...there are a bunch out there, I just don't have experience with them.

Switon
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:26 PM   #4
A..J
macrumors newbie

Today I got an e-mail from the Developer saying that Pooch for ML is coming soon.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:21 AM   #5
switon
macrumors 6502a

RE: Pooch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A..J View Post
Today I got an e-mail from the Developer saying that Pooch for ML is coming soon.
Great! Please let us know how it works. Thanks, Switon.
switon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking