Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Management
macrumors member

Airplay PLEX to Apple TV 3rd Gen & Dual Core?

Hi Everyone,

I just have some simple questions.

1. Can I use my iPhone or iPad PLEX Clients to airplay to my new Apple TV 3rd Gen?

2. Does the 3rd Gen Apple TV really have a dual core that is only using 1 core now? Can a software update open up the 2nd core for increase processing capability? Thanks.

I ask just because I want to know if I should wait for a new Apple TV with the possibility of apps (returning this one) or just keep it and have some expandable capabilities in the future.

Thanks!
Management is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:14 PM   #2
jdag
macrumors regular

1) Yes, you can AirPlay from the Plex client on either an iPhone, iPod Touch, or an iPad.

2) I have no idea.
jdag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:45 PM   #3
waw74
macrumors 68020

If you want one, get it.

Chances are any new apps will be media channels, much like the addition of Hulu this year. That require little to no processor power, only menus and playing videos that are pre-formatted to work with the aTV.

Even the plex app for a jail broken aTV2 doesn't do much, all the heavy lifting of video conversion is done on the server

I think I remember reading an article somewhere that the aTVs were using "defective" iPhone chips with one bad processor, that may be what you heard about the dual core, but I don't remember the details or My brain could be making that all up
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:56 PM   #4
institute
macrumors regular

It's not necessarily a "bad" processor. There is also speculation that it is a disabled processor, one that is physically shutdown so it can't be opened up by a software or firmware fix.

Last edited by institute; Dec 27, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
institute is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater