Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:17 AM   #76
extradryny
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
You do no airplay uses wifi and not Bluetooth and uses lossless ALAC.
Yes. That's why I use it.
extradryny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:25 AM   #77
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
Why don't you use one of the software available for free to convert your FLAC to ALAC (zero quality degradation - lossless to lossless). Then you can airplay them.
No, that sounds like a pain in the ass. Why would I want to convert close to 900 gigs of music ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extradryny View Post
I'm sorry, but streaming lossless FLAC files over lossy bluetooth is the definition of fail.
Not understanding my original post and responding with something as catty as THIS is the definition of a Fail.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:31 AM   #78
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
No, that sounds like a pain in the ass. Why would I want to convert close to 900 gigs of music ?
900 gig? Even considering you've got it all encoded at lossless compression ratios, that's like...all the music, isn't it?

It sure as hell makes my 12GB of music seem puny.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:37 AM   #79
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
900 gig? Even considering you've got it all encoded at lossless compression ratios, that's like...all the music, isn't it?

It sure as hell makes my 12GB of music seem puny.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but 12 gigs in lossless is like 12- 20 records .

In Lossless , yeah , that would be puny
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:46 AM   #80
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but 12 gigs in lossless is like 12- 20 records .

In Lossless , yeah , that would be puny
Right, I'm not a massive audiophile, so most of my collection is a mix of 250k M4a files and 250-320k MP3's, each album pegs out around 80-150 meg or so. I've got about 86 albums altogether.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:30 AM   #81
Concorde Rules
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post

I really hate saw the old Kuro went off the grid, and now Panasonic is raising the white flag too. I wish all HDTV is plasma
No thanks.

Some of use have eyes that are sensitive to Plasma refresh rates inducing flicker.

Plasma is old tech and has been superseded by more energy efficient and quite frankly better tech.
Concorde Rules is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 06:26 AM   #82
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde Rules View Post
No thanks.

Some of use have eyes that are sensitive to Plasma refresh rates inducing flicker.

Plasma is old tech and has been superseded by more energy efficient and quite frankly better tech.
Better tech than plasma? Like LCD? Barely

Like I said, LCD or LED backlit tv might have to be overcomplicated and overpriced to compensate lots of things a cheap, simple, low end Plasma could do out of the box.

LCD needs more costly IPS panel to have a better viewing angle and contrast ratio
LCD needs super sophisticated auto dimming backlit array to barely compete with plasma black level an uniformity
LCD needs soap opera effect a.k.a motion smoothing to overcome motion blur

After all that advanced technology, LCD is still much more suscpetible to dead pixels more than plasma

One technology which truly compete with plasma and make it obsolete is OLED. Might need several years before mere mortals could afford one.
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:32 AM   #83
Concorde Rules
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
Better tech than plasma? Like LCD? Barely

Like I said, LCD or LED backlit tv might have to be overcomplicated and overpriced to compensate lots of things a cheap, simple, low end Plasma could do out of the box.

LCD needs more costly IPS panel to have a better viewing angle and contrast ratio
LCD needs super sophisticated auto dimming backlit array to barely compete with plasma black level an uniformity
LCD needs soap opera effect a.k.a motion smoothing to overcome motion blur

After all that advanced technology, LCD is still much more suscpetible to dead pixels more than plasma

One technology which truly compete with plasma and make it obsolete is OLED. Might need several years before mere mortals could afford one.
And yet it seems that not a small number of people are susceptible to flicker with them which renders them completely uncompetitive to LCD.

Plasma had its time and when I was researching my TV purchase last year, the gap in terms of Black Depth and IQ was narrowing!!
Concorde Rules is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 01:08 PM   #84
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Can someone tell me if this needs to be on a wifi network to work with an iPhone? Want something for a cabin where there is no router.

Thanks
Yes! You can connect an iPhone directly to it wirelessly.

"With Wireless Direct, you can enjoy wireless music far beyond your home’s wireless network. Wireless Direct allows for a direct wireless connection between your smartphone and the A3 speaker, without the need for a wireless router."
Old Jun 6, 2013, 02:11 PM   #85
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Airplay requires wifi.
Airplay requires WIFI, but the poster asked about connecting directly to the Pioneer [without a WIFI Router], which you can do.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:45 AM   #86
Gaelic2
macrumors 6502

I bought one at Best Buy at $199. It was simple to setup and the sound is wonderful out on my deck. I checked the sound on both the portable and the plugin models. Even though the price is the same for both, the sound on the plugin was overwhelmingly better. I am very pleased with the quality build, the sound and ease of setup. This was just perfect for what I need at an excellent price!
Gaelic2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:58 PM   #87
samrao
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshambles View Post
Great news. Much cheaper than SONOS. Looks sleek and easy to use.

Will purchase in the future.
We were really on the fence which way to go and we went with SONOS
for a number of reasons, including flexibility of format and ease of use.
And yes - like many before us, we got hooked on the whole Sonos system
and now have a playbar as well as the sub. Couldn't be happier with our choice.

I don't know if you've made your purchase yet, but if you haven't, this is a really good moment to take advantage of a sale Sonos has going - when you buy a Sonos Play 3, they will give you a free Sonos Bridge plus 90 days free access to Rhapsody.

I came across this web site that has a free 2 day fedex shipping coupon for Sonos when we were shopping. They also have info on there about how to get the free sonos bridge. I think that sale ends really soon, so if you are reading this and have been considering buying a play 3 or need a bridge - this is a good moment to get it.

Personally - I don't think you'll be disappointed with any sonos product.

http://www.squidoo.com/sonos-playbar...treaming-music
samrao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:26 AM   #88
sshambles
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samrao View Post
We were really on the fence which way to go and we went with SONOS
for a number of reasons, including flexibility of format and ease of use.
And yes - like many before us, we got hooked on the whole Sonos system
and now have a playbar as well as the sub. Couldn't be happier with our choice.

I don't know if you've made your purchase yet, but if you haven't, this is a really good moment to take advantage of a sale Sonos has going - when you buy a Sonos Play 3, they will give you a free Sonos Bridge plus 90 days free access to Rhapsody.

I came across this web site that has a free 2 day fedex shipping coupon for Sonos when we were shopping. They also have info on there about how to get the free sonos bridge. I think that sale ends really soon, so if you are reading this and have been considering buying a play 3 or need a bridge - this is a good moment to get it.

Personally - I don't think you'll be disappointed with any sonos product.

I'm sure I wouldn't, but the price is the biggest point.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:10 AM   #89
samrao
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshambles View Post
I'm sure I wouldn't, but the price is the biggest point.
I understand. Hope you find something great that's right for your pocketbook.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 01:57 AM   #90
eyeseeyou
macrumors member

So Bestbuy just had a sale on the A1 model for $50. I bought 2.

Had a little difficulty setting it up. Ultimately the main problem was the firmware needed to be updated.

After it was set up I'm more than satisfied with the results all around. $50!

Can't wait to get both speakers set up although based on my tests in my apt this single speaker gets loud enough to disturb the neighbors on its own let alone paired with another speaker.

BASS is awesome.

2 things I'm a little concerned with so far.

Start up time from complete power off to ready to use is at least 30 seconds.

Second concern is adding a password to the airplay so my neighbors can't connect to it.
eyeseeyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 04:22 PM   #91
jschonert
macrumors newbie

Anyone got a work-around so you can keep the Pioneer speaker on at all times rather than it shutting off after 20 minutes of no use?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 05:15 PM   #92
eyeseeyou
macrumors member

I forgot how but you can put it in quick start mode. Takes less than a minute if That to start up.
eyeseeyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 09:07 AM   #93
jschonert
macrumors newbie

So there's a quick way for it to start up, but still not a way to keep it on all the time?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 07:14 AM   #94
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
I've been told by a couple of AirPlay speaker owners (self-proclaimed audiophiles ) that AirPlay has a technical advantage over Bluetooth.... something to do with Bluetooth being "lossy" (loses original data when packaged for transmission) while AirPlay is not. This reminds of the ancient format debates between JPEG (lossy image compression) versus something like PICT or PNG.

Anyone with more technical knowledge care to elaborate?

With myself being quite satisfied with the sound quality of 256kb AAC, I'm no audiophile. So in listening to the same track, will I be able to tell the difference if I listen to an AirPlay output versus a Bluetooth one? (assuming that everything else is equal like the quality and build of the speakers)
if everything else is equal like cheapo speakers, or earbuds, you wont tell a difference. But with quality speakers you will.

Airplay transmits with AAC lossless. So your AAC/MP3 files etc while lossy dont go through a lossy transcode for transmission and decode.

Bluetooth can support direct AAC and can be similar quality, but in reality very few bluetooth receivers support and negotiate for receiving AAC.

Instead they fall back to their basic standards compliant SBC codec which is very poor. So you convert your lossy AAC into another lossy crappier SBC for transmission to be decoded by the receiver. You'll lose a lot of dynamic range.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 03:26 PM   #95
bommai
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
if everything else is equal like cheapo speakers, or earbuds, you wont tell a difference. But with quality speakers you will.

Airplay transmits with AAC lossless. So your AAC/MP3 files etc while lossy dont go through a lossy transcode for transmission and decode.

Bluetooth can support direct AAC and can be similar quality, but in reality very few bluetooth receivers support and negotiate for receiving AAC.

Instead they fall back to their basic standards compliant SBC codec which is very poor. So you convert your lossy AAC into another lossy crappier SBC for transmission to be decoded by the receiver. You'll lose a lot of dynamic range.
There is no such thing as AAC lossless. May be you mean Apple Lossless. If you store everything in Apple Lossless and are sending it to premium speakers through AirPlay, everything remains lossless throughout the path. With Bluetooth, it does not.
bommai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 07:15 PM   #96
Ibjr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschonert View Post
So there's a quick way for it to start up, but still not a way to keep it on all the time?
With quickstart my two A4s and one A1 responds nearly instantly. Why would you want to keep it completely on all the time?
Ibjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 07:43 PM   #97
D.T.
macrumors 68030

AirPlay is outstanding for the range it offers, our BT speaker has craptacular range (and it's a higher-ish ended product).

Quote:
Unless I can Air Play my FLAC files I don't care how cheap it is

You're in luck, you can.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 04:30 PM   #98
samrao
macrumors newbie

Good News! Sonos is currently offering a free bridge.

I just found out that SONOS is once again offering a free Bridge.
If you've been thinking of buying any of the Sonos products,
don't miss this opportunity. The link below has the details:

PS. We have now had our Sonos system for 7 months and we are still in love!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion