Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Why don't you use one of the software available for free to convert your FLAC to ALAC (zero quality degradation - lossless to lossless). Then you can airplay them.

No, that sounds like a pain in the ass. Why would I want to convert close to 900 gigs of music ?

I'm sorry, but streaming lossless FLAC files over lossy bluetooth is the definition of fail.

Not understanding my original post and responding with something as catty as THIS is the definition of a Fail.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
I really hate saw the old Kuro went off the grid, and now Panasonic is raising the white flag too. I wish all HDTV is plasma :(

No thanks.

Some of use have eyes that are sensitive to Plasma refresh rates inducing flicker.

Plasma is old tech and has been superseded by more energy efficient and quite frankly better tech.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
No thanks.

Some of use have eyes that are sensitive to Plasma refresh rates inducing flicker.

Plasma is old tech and has been superseded by more energy efficient and quite frankly better tech.

Better tech than plasma? Like LCD? Barely

Like I said, LCD or LED backlit tv might have to be overcomplicated and overpriced to compensate lots of things a cheap, simple, low end Plasma could do out of the box.

LCD needs more costly IPS panel to have a better viewing angle and contrast ratio
LCD needs super sophisticated auto dimming backlit array to barely compete with plasma black level an uniformity
LCD needs soap opera effect a.k.a motion smoothing to overcome motion blur

After all that advanced technology, LCD is still much more suscpetible to dead pixels more than plasma

One technology which truly compete with plasma and make it obsolete is OLED. Might need several years before mere mortals could afford one.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Better tech than plasma? Like LCD? Barely

Like I said, LCD or LED backlit tv might have to be overcomplicated and overpriced to compensate lots of things a cheap, simple, low end Plasma could do out of the box.

LCD needs more costly IPS panel to have a better viewing angle and contrast ratio
LCD needs super sophisticated auto dimming backlit array to barely compete with plasma black level an uniformity
LCD needs soap opera effect a.k.a motion smoothing to overcome motion blur

After all that advanced technology, LCD is still much more suscpetible to dead pixels more than plasma

One technology which truly compete with plasma and make it obsolete is OLED. Might need several years before mere mortals could afford one.

And yet it seems that not a small number of people are susceptible to flicker with them which renders them completely uncompetitive to LCD.

Plasma had its time and when I was researching my TV purchase last year, the gap in terms of Black Depth and IQ was narrowing!!

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Can someone tell me if this needs to be on a wifi network to work with an iPhone? Want something for a cabin where there is no router.

Thanks

Yes! You can connect an iPhone directly to it wirelessly.

"With Wireless Direct, you can enjoy wireless music far beyond your home’s wireless network. Wireless Direct allows for a direct wireless connection between your smartphone and the A3 speaker, without the need for a wireless router."

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
I bought one at Best Buy at $199. It was simple to setup and the sound is wonderful out on my deck. I checked the sound on both the portable and the plugin models. Even though the price is the same for both, the sound on the plugin was overwhelmingly better. I am very pleased with the quality build, the sound and ease of setup. This was just perfect for what I need at an excellent price!:)

samrao

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Great news. Much cheaper than SONOS. Looks sleek and easy to use.

Will purchase in the future.

We were really on the fence which way to go and we went with SONOS
for a number of reasons, including flexibility of format and ease of use.
And yes - like many before us, we got hooked on the whole Sonos system
and now have a playbar as well as the sub. Couldn't be happier with our choice.

I don't know if you've made your purchase yet, but if you haven't, this is a really good moment to take advantage of a sale Sonos has going - when you buy a Sonos Play 3, they will give you a free Sonos Bridge plus 90 days free access to Rhapsody.

I came across this web site that has a free 2 day fedex shipping coupon for Sonos when we were shopping. They also have info on there about how to get the free sonos bridge. I think that sale ends really soon, so if you are reading this and have been considering buying a play 3 or need a bridge - this is a good moment to get it.

Personally - I don't think you'll be disappointed with any sonos product.

http://www.squidoo.com/sonos-playbar-soundbar-and-wireless-speakers-for-streaming-music

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
We were really on the fence which way to go and we went with SONOS
for a number of reasons, including flexibility of format and ease of use.
And yes - like many before us, we got hooked on the whole Sonos system
and now have a playbar as well as the sub. Couldn't be happier with our choice.

I don't know if you've made your purchase yet, but if you haven't, this is a really good moment to take advantage of a sale Sonos has going - when you buy a Sonos Play 3, they will give you a free Sonos Bridge plus 90 days free access to Rhapsody.

I came across this web site that has a free 2 day fedex shipping coupon for Sonos when we were shopping. They also have info on there about how to get the free sonos bridge. I think that sale ends really soon, so if you are reading this and have been considering buying a play 3 or need a bridge - this is a good moment to get it.

Personally - I don't think you'll be disappointed with any sonos product.

http://www.squidoo.com/sonos-playbar-soundbar-and-wireless-speakers-for-streaming-music

I'm sure I wouldn't, but the price is the biggest point.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
So Bestbuy just had a sale on the A1 model for $50. I bought 2.

Had a little difficulty setting it up. Ultimately the main problem was the firmware needed to be updated.

After it was set up I'm more than satisfied with the results all around. $50!

Can't wait to get both speakers set up although based on my tests in my apt this single speaker gets loud enough to disturb the neighbors on its own let alone paired with another speaker.

BASS is awesome.

2 things I'm a little concerned with so far.

Start up time from complete power off to ready to use is at least 30 seconds.

Second concern is adding a password to the airplay so my neighbors can't connect to it.

jschonert

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Anyone got a work-around so you can keep the Pioneer speaker on at all times rather than it shutting off after 20 minutes of no use?

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I forgot how but you can put it in quick start mode. Takes less than a minute if That to start up.

jschonert

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
So there's a quick way for it to start up, but still not a way to keep it on all the time?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I've been told by a couple of AirPlay speaker owners (self-proclaimed audiophiles :rolleyes:) that AirPlay has a technical advantage over Bluetooth.... something to do with Bluetooth being "lossy" (loses original data when packaged for transmission) while AirPlay is not. This reminds of the ancient format debates between JPEG (lossy image compression) versus something like PICT or PNG.

Anyone with more technical knowledge care to elaborate?

With myself being quite satisfied with the sound quality of 256kb AAC, I'm no audiophile. So in listening to the same track, will I be able to tell the difference if I listen to an AirPlay output versus a Bluetooth one? (assuming that everything else is equal like the quality and build of the speakers)
if everything else is equal like cheapo speakers, or earbuds, you wont tell a difference. But with quality speakers you will.

Airplay transmits with AAC lossless. So your AAC/MP3 files etc while lossy dont go through a lossy transcode for transmission and decode.

Bluetooth can support direct AAC and can be similar quality, but in reality very few bluetooth receivers support and negotiate for receiving AAC.

Instead they fall back to their basic standards compliant SBC codec which is very poor. So you convert your lossy AAC into another lossy crappier SBC for transmission to be decoded by the receiver. You'll lose a lot of dynamic range.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
if everything else is equal like cheapo speakers, or earbuds, you wont tell a difference. But with quality speakers you will.

Airplay transmits with AAC lossless. So your AAC/MP3 files etc while lossy dont go through a lossy transcode for transmission and decode.

Bluetooth can support direct AAC and can be similar quality, but in reality very few bluetooth receivers support and negotiate for receiving AAC.

Instead they fall back to their basic standards compliant SBC codec which is very poor. So you convert your lossy AAC into another lossy crappier SBC for transmission to be decoded by the receiver. You'll lose a lot of dynamic range.

There is no such thing as AAC lossless. May be you mean Apple Lossless. If you store everything in Apple Lossless and are sending it to premium speakers through AirPlay, everything remains lossless throughout the path. With Bluetooth, it does not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.