Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThePiratkapten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
Hi!

I am converting some movies with Handbrake and wonder if there is a difference between "faac" and "CoreAudio" in the audio tab when using AAC. I think if the audio quality is better with one or the other (I will use 320kbit/s).

Thanks in advance!

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Core Audio is waaaay better than faac. In fact in the nightlies now HB has dropped faac on the mac. Note: Core Audio is only available on the mac version of HB.

ThePiratkapten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
Core Audio is waaaay better than faac. In fact in the nightlies now HB has dropped faac on the mac. Note: Core Audio is only available on the mac version of HB.

Okay, but can you hear the difference with a pair of good headphones? Also, why is Core Audio better?

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Okay, but can you hear the difference with a pair of good headphones? Also, why is Core Audio better?

No, and because it's integrated into OS X (hence the "Core" name). Is there any particular reason why you aren't just sticking with a preset in Handbrake?

ThePiratkapten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
No, and because it's integrated into OS X (hence the "Core" name). Is there any particular reason why you aren't just sticking with a preset in Handbrake?

Thanks for the clarification! (By the way, thank you dynaflash too!) I don't use the presets because I want to have full control over the settings and use more optimized settings for my needs. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.