Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairs1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
My brother's girlfriend is getting an iPad for Christmas, and she has tasked me with finding out how the Cellular portion is activated.

I have a Telus SIM card but it seems the offer I wanted to take advantage of is now over. No big deal, I'll get a SIM from another carrier.

Now - if I pick up a SIM Card for $5 at a Bell store, and follow their online activation instructions, what can I expect? How will they pay for service? Will this be billed monthly via e-bill, or automatically charged to Credit Card? Will we see a credit check be performed to start service, since there isn't a large subsidy involved?

I have the iPad in my posession, but don't want to set the account up and have to pay for her service. So I'm thinking about getting the SIM and activating at her house (her PC) and bringing the iPad back home for my brother to wrap.

Is there a way to activate an iPad 4 without hooking it up to a PC or going into a Bell(or other carrier) store?

Is there an easier way for this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.