Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Does somebody know how many gigbytes this program takes up on a Mac hard drive with Windows 7 premium included? How can I determine that? I want to load the entire program on an 8gb flash drive, and transfer to another Mac Book Pro. I'm hoping 8gb is big enough to do it.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Does somebody know how many gigbytes this program takes up on a Mac hard drive with Windows 7 premium included? How can I determine that? I want to load the entire program on an 8gb flash drive, and transfer to another Mac Book Pro. I'm hoping 8gb is big enough to do it.

The light version of the Fusion 5.1 DMG image (doesn't include the AV software included with the 'full' dog) is 215.1MB - very small.

Windows 7 fits on a DVD, so < 5GB.

To transfer a working VM from one system to another, you would have to copy the Virtual Machine file - this size is variable depending on what you selected when you set it up, but almost certainly more that 8GB...

Anyway, by default, Fusion puts virtual machines in this location...
~/Documents/Virtual Machines
The virtual machine will look like a file with an extension of .vmwarevm
right click this file and select "Get Info" to see the size...

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
With Windows 7 you're looking at about 15GB. Yes the install disk is only about 7GB but when it installs it is actually larger and then there are tons of patches to install. Fusion also needs to store of the contents of the memory. My windows 7 machines, clean are around 15 to 20GB in size for the 32 bit version, 20 to 30gb in size for 64bit. Yeah, sadly, Windows 7 does take quite a bit of room. Windows XP I was able to get down to about 4 to 8gb.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
My experience is about 25-30GB, though that's loaded up with Office, browsers, Reader, and Camtasia. Data almost always lives on the mac fs. Depending, you may be able to get it to fit comfortably on a 32GB stick. USB 3 versions of this are around $30 if you shop around. No idea on how this will hold up, as they may be some issue with how many times the flash cells can be written to on a USB stick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.