Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:42 PM   #26
lilo777
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
Some "life forms" are simply not viable and will not survive.

Darwin proved this.

You should not have kids!
Same goes for dumb species.
lilo777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:59 PM   #27
Mulgagodfree
macrumors newbie

iPad hand & wrist pain

Yes. I've had exactly the pain you referred to.
I've been in bed for weeks recuperating from an injury, and using my iPad for more than 12 hours each day.
Mulgagodfree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 08:19 AM   #28
justabrake
macrumors member

Got this also from holding it with 2 fingers ( index and thumb ) This really hurts.
justabrake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:55 AM   #29
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

I don't use the 4 all day long but I probably use it as much as anyone. No wrist pain here. I do not hold it all the time when I use it, why should anyone????

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix View Post
No but I do get a stiff neck after a while...
Lol. Got to remind myself on the positioning of the ipad so that does not happen. No need to keep bending my neck down too far.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:08 AM   #30
LaurieAnn
macrumors regular

I use get that pain with my iPad2. Since only using my iPad Mini, the pain is gone.
LaurieAnn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:23 AM   #31
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
The iPad, and all the other tablets simply aren't designed to be easy to hold and use. Look at any sci-fi show where a tablet was a prop and you never see them holding/tapping on them. The tablet is either set on a desk/table, or simply looked at when being held. You might see them talking to it.
The ease of holding is not why they do that. They aren't hauling them around in general because keeping it in a fixed position makes it easier for us viz guys to map in the display annie after filming.

The best advice comes from those that said mix up your positions. Wrists start to ache in part from the muscles trying to hold the device steady. If you change up positions, put it in your lap, go to the other hand or both etc you ease up on that one particular group of muscles. Plus you potentially change the angle of your head which is good for your neck etc.

And put the dang thing down from time to time. Even if just when you go to refill your coffee cup or take your morning poop etc (yeah I know guys that take their iPad with them during that and gross)
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:31 AM   #32
Medic311
macrumors 65816

if you are holding your iPad a lot in 1 hand, perhaps an iPad Mini would be better suited for your needs.

when i had an iPad Mini (briefly) it was so easy to read magazines with just 1 hand which was nearly impossible with the iPad 3 without having to adjust at least once or twice per article. i couldn't deal with the lack of a Retina screen so i went back to an iPad 3 refurb, but i do still miss the light weight feel of the iPad Mini

give the Mini a try - it might be worth a shot.

As the doctor said, "If it hurts when you do that, don't do it" LOL
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 02:38 PM   #33
ManUMark
macrumors member

Do some finger gym it works. A few mins a day is enough.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.iF7M0FUpNl4
ManUMark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:49 AM   #34
SgtP3pp3r
macrumors member

I have this exact same pain. Lately it has become specially painful. I am a college professor and I use my iPad a lot during my lectures for my notes. When i'm at the podium this works wonderfully, but then as i step over to the whiteboard, i end up holding the iPad one handledly for extended periods of time. Some days this can be up to 3 or 4 hours, as i teach various classes. At first i hadnt pin pointed the reason, but now i notice the pain is particularly pressing while holding the iPad on my left hand.

Im gonna head over and see a Doctor about the pain, if anyone else does the same please report back. It might even turn out the iPad is not to blame.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:03 AM   #35
justabrake
macrumors member

My Doctor is treating my left hand for Arthritis and said holding the ipad might have advanced or trigged the Arthritis ! I've never had any pain before in my hand before holding the ipad for a few months with 2-3 fingers in left hand, Im very sad I can't do this anymore.

I thought it was carpal tunnel and had the symtoms and almost alike ! Either way I'm in very bad pain still and can't take a shot of cortison because it might affect future treatments and no pain killers help this !
justabrake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:49 AM   #36
Infinitewisdom
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtP3pp3r View Post
I have this exact same pain. Lately it has become specially painful. I am a college professor and I use my iPad a lot during my lectures for my notes. When i'm at the podium this works wonderfully, but then as i step over to the whiteboard, i end up holding the iPad one handledly for extended periods of time. Some days this can be up to 3 or 4 hours, as i teach various classes. At first i hadnt pin pointed the reason, but now i notice the pain is particularly pressing while holding the iPad on my left hand.

Im gonna head over and see a Doctor about the pain, if anyone else does the same please report back. It might even turn out the iPad is not to blame.
Hold any sort of weight in a fixed position for 3-4 hours and your body will let you know how it feels. I'd try getting a mini or just using your phone instead.
Infinitewisdom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 02:21 PM   #37
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtP3pp3r View Post

It probably is the iPad. Especially if you are holding it steady to read/write on it. Your muscles are constantly straining to hold it still and you can get a repetitive stress condition even from that if it happens enough
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 06:33 PM   #38
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Get the ipad mini
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad