Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:31 PM   #1
ladeer
macrumors 6502

1.3 of 1.7 ghz CPU?

Hi Guys,

I am getting the MBA 13inch 512gb and 16gb ram. I max it out because I run Windows in VMWare so I need to dedicate 8gb for each OS. Today my hd is a 256 ssd and I often run out of space, since the 16gb memory itself eats a lot of space.

Does anyone know how much is a performance difference between the i7 and i5 cpus? Noticeable?

Thanks!
-Gary
ladeer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:41 PM   #2
yeroc3103
macrumors newbie

FYI, you can't configure an Air with 16gb of ram
yeroc3103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:41 PM   #3
happyslayer
macrumors 6502

First, sadly, there is no 16GB RAM option for the 13" Air. If there is, I cannot find it on the Apple Store site.

As to i5 or i7, I have the 2011 11" Air with the i7 and I had the 2011 with the i5 before that (for about a week.) The reason I upgraded was because I wanted/needed the 256GB SSD and the only model in store, at the time, with the 256 was the maxed out i7 model.

Honestly, I did not notice a real difference between the i5 and the i7, performance-wise, with Windows (I run 7 64bit in Parallels) Of course this could be a RAM limitation since the 2011 models maxed out at 4 GB.

However, sadly, I did notice a definite battery time difference. The i7 gets a lot less time on a charge. (At least an hour.) Hopefully the new Haswell's do not suffer from this. Just in case, though, I ordered the new model with an i5. Battery time is key to me.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:51 PM   #4
ladeer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyslayer View Post
First, sadly, there is no 16GB RAM option for the 13" Air. If there is, I cannot find it on the Apple Store site.

As to i5 or i7, I have the 2011 11" Air with the i7 and I had the 2011 with the i5 before that (for about a week.) The reason I upgraded was because I wanted/needed the 256GB SSD and the only model in store, at the time, with the 256 was the maxed out i7 model.

Honestly, I did not notice a real difference between the i5 and the i7, performance-wise, with Windows (I run 7 64bit in Parallels) Of course this could be a RAM limitation since the 2011 models maxed out at 4 GB.

However, sadly, I did notice a definite battery time difference. The i7 gets a lot less time on a charge. (At least an hour.) Hopefully the new Haswell's do not suffer from this. Just in case, though, I ordered the new model with an i5. Battery time is key to me.
????? I can't believe the base was 4gb!! WTH? I just picked the "upgraded one" assuming it was 16gb..... how can they not let me pick 16gb???? this is ridiculous.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyslayer View Post

thank you!
my mistake i didn't know the max is only 8gb. it seems like vmware won't work as i want to give my windows 8 8gb.
ladeer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air