Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:07 PM   #1
zerosktz
macrumors newbie

Smile Advice guys? (iphone 5 from south america for use in USA?)

hey guys,

just wondering if you guys could help me out and give me some advice.

i'm currently living in lima, peru, south america and have been for about 3-4 years, however in a couple of months i'm moving back home to florida, usa permenantly.

i have a good deal to buy a 32gb iphone 5 here in lima, but it's an iphone 5 from a local peru carrier (claro).

if i buy the phone, i want to be able to use it in the usa when i move in a couple of weeks, if not i'd just be throwing my money away, i don't need a peru phone if i'm not going to be living here, you know.

according to my friend at claro who's giving me the good deal in buying the phone, i shouldn't have a problem in using the phone with another sim card from a usa company like t-mobile, sprint, at&t etc when i move back home.

however i have asked around at local places here in lima where they unlock phones and such and they tell me that carrier iphone5's cannot be unlocked using software like redsnow and all that and that my only solution would be to use a gevey sim card unlock? and that with the gevey i would have no problem in usa using the phone (cell phone use, mobile 4g internet use, etc)

anyone used this type of unlock before? does it work? they told me it's like a sticker you put on the simcard???

and in regards to not being able to unlock the iphone 5 from the carrier i'm assuming this is only for the latest iOS right? i assume that eventually the third party people that make redsnow and all the other programs to unlock phones will release the software to unlock my phone. or is unlocking impossible now?

since i've been living in peru for a while i'm not really up to date with all these things, which is why i ask. the last time i had an iphone was the very first iphone which i unlocked myself using one of those snow programs so i could use t-mobile's service for it. this is back when at&t was the only carrier for iphones in the usa.

so should i buy the iphone5 here? or not?

i would appreciate any advice.

also, i know some people will say: just wait until you move back to the usa and buy an unlocked iphone5 on craigslist, which is also a good option. the thing is i have no cell phone right now because i got mugged a couple of weeks ago and i'm completely disconnected so i'd rather just buy the iphone now.

thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by zerosktz; Aug 11, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
zerosktz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 06:48 PM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604

I wouldn't buy an iPhone and then move - you will most likely be locked to the carrier. I don't think it's worth the hassle - just buy one when you get back to Florida.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:26 PM   #3
canucksfan88
macrumors 6502

what service do you get by Claro in Lima? Do you guys have 4G/LTE?

Looking online, it looks like Claro operates its GSM network at 1900MHz and UMTS at 850MHz which is similar to AT&T and Verizon.

If you unlock it - via various websites online, it should work as it doesnt look like Claro has a CDMA network.

**I am not 100% sure, but if I had to bet on it, I would say yes it would work. You just need it unlocked to read the NA sim card.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone