Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Staffie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2013
I'm a new macbook pro user and I have a problem when writing emails as
I can't find a way to set any margins. My text is starting right at the edge on
the right hand side and goes to the edge of the left side. I can see how to do
justification but not how to control the width of the text on the page or to do auto wrap.
Can anyone help please?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The formatting capabilities of email (all email, not Apple's Mail app) are quite limited. The original standard describes plain text only, and text formatting is usually achieved as a hidden file attachment in either RTF or HTML format (alongside the original plain text message).

Mail clients usually have a setting to turn off formatting and display the message as the original plain text. So there's no guarantee that everyone will see the formatting that you spend time doing.

However, email text should auto-wrap in Mail. If this is not happening, then there may be some actual problem.

Roquefort

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
U.S. west coast
Menu choices Format -> Make Rich Text and Format -> Make Plain Text let you toggle back and forth between plain and rich text. Does the problem happen with both of them?

When you are in Rich Text mode, check the choices for Format -> Alignment, Format -> Indentation, and Format -> Alignment -> Writing Direction.

Does that solve it? If not, can you post a screenshot of the problem you see?

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
It sounds like he wants the column of text to
Be narrower. There's no simple way to format email like a print document, that I know of. However for legibility while writing email messages, just make the compose window smaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.