Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I'm glad you were willing to share your process. I lack a second flash, so I can't really do a high key shot yet. I will comment about using the wide lens up close, though. The problem with doing that is that it distorts your features because you are so close. I've read that the best portraits are done around the 85-135mm range. That focal range gets the features with all the proper proportions so it looks most like "you". I realize you were working without a remote to get further back, so getting up closer helped you take the pictures. I just wanted to point out why you would want to use a longer lens for portraits.

dipm06

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
I'm glad you were willing to share your process. I lack a second flash, so I can't really do a high key shot yet. I will comment about using the wide lens up close, though. The problem with doing that is that it distorts your features because you are so close. I've read that the best portraits are done around the 85-135mm range. That focal range gets the features with all the proper proportions so it looks most like "you". I realize you were working without a remote to get further back, so getting up closer helped you take the pictures. I just wanted to point out why you would want to use a longer lens for portraits.

Thanks for watching, and thanks for the comment! :) It's true that the 75-135 range is regarded as the focal lengths for portraiture, and I do use that focal range when accuracy of features is a mist, but I believe that any lens can be used as a portrait lens. Some of the great portrait photographers have used the distortion you get from a wider lens for creative portraits. I'm sure you've heard of Dan Winters. His famous portrait of President Obama or Michael Jordan has distortion all over it.

I don't like using the "standard" portrait focal range too much, even when it is not a self portrait if I can. They're just a little too boring for my taste. Of course, that is all personal preference.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.