Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this problem or might have any ideas on how to fix it.

I have a brand new 2012 13" Macbook Air. This computer is great except for one thing.

Waking from sleep in general is a bit unreliable.

I've noticed that a lot of the unreliability is associated with my thunderbolt to ethernet adapter which I use while I am at work.

Twice now I have plugged my macbook air into power opened it and wakened it from sleep. And then plugged in the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter (with ethernet cord attached). And then the computer completely freezes. Unresponsive. I can't put it back to sleep. Unplugging the adapter doesn't do anything. The only thing I can do is turn the computer off by holding the power button. Strangely it doesn't happen every time and after a restart I am able to get my MBA working with ethernet.

This is a big problem as I need ethernet 100% of the time at work.

I bought the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter from apple btw.

I will of course call Apple and see what they say but I just wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas for a solution. I've already reset SMC twice.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Make sure you have installed all the software updates. Apple released a few updates for Thunderbolt and a new firmware since the Air was first released. If it is brand new, it is possible that these haven't been installed.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Update: applied a the latest firmware update which does seem to deal with thunderbolt issues. Hopefully this fixes things for good (because it is getting really annoying)

Will update if my problems are resolved and thanks for the tip.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I agree with KPOM. Install the updates. On my 2012 Air, my thunderbolt ethernet adapter works great. Maybe nothing, before I connect via ethernet, I turn off wi-fi.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
I agree with KPOM. Install the updates. On my 2012 Air, my thunderbolt ethernet adapter works great. Maybe nothing, before I connect via ethernet, I turn off wi-fi.

So I installed all the updates and I thought things were fixed but then it just happened again today...:(

I do notice that sometimes my laptop is trying to connect to my work's wifi (which requires you to sign in) and that this might be an issue. I will try turning off wifi before I connect ethernet but I do hope I can figure out a real solution soon. I switch between wifi at home and ethernet at work on a daily basis so remembering to turn off wifi isn't exactly the ease of use I'm used to working with macs.

But thank you for the suggestion. Still worth a try.

I think eventually (when I am not so busy) I will try reinstalling my OS from scratch. I just migrated over from my old computer and many things haven't been as smooth as they were on my 2009 MBP (not in term of speed but rather predictability)

SpoekGTi

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
The Netherlands
So I installed all the updates and I thought things were fixed but then it just happened again today...:(

I do notice that sometimes my laptop is trying to connect to my work's wifi (which requires you to sign in) and that this might be an issue. I will try turning off wifi before I connect ethernet but I do hope I can figure out a real solution soon. I switch between wifi at home and ethernet at work on a daily basis so remembering to turn off wifi isn't exactly the ease of use I'm used to working with macs.

But thank you for the suggestion. Still worth a try.

I think eventually (when I am not so busy) I will try reinstalling my OS from scratch. I just migrated over from my old computer and many things haven't been as smooth as they were on my 2009 MBP (not in term of speed but rather predictability)

The problem you describe i have it also, in the 6 months i have the MBA now it happened only 3 times so i'm not to worried, but still it is kinda weird. Also i have applied every possible updates.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Any updates on this?

It is still happening to me. I am going to try the latest thunderbolt firmware update but I'm not holding my breath. Right now I just avoid the issue by never pluggin in my TB/EN adapter while my MBA's screen is open. But sometimes I forget and then BAM! all my work lost...

It really sucks...

jevcm

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
Network settings

Take a look on your System Preferences > Network and move your Thunderbolt Ethernet connection to first place. Then your Air will connect to Thunderbolt before WIFI.
Hope this is helpful.:)

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Take a look on your System Preferences > Network and move your Thunderbolt Ethernet connection to first place. Then your Air will connect to Thunderbolt before WIFI.
Hope this is helpful.:)

It already is in first place but thanks!

gbit

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2012
same issue here on 2 rmpb. both freeze about half the time when i insert the ethernet adapter.
anyone got more infos? only things i can provide is from syslog f.e.:
Code:
Jun 19 14:04:46 localhost kernel[0]: AppleThunderboltNHIType2::setupPowerSavings - GPE based runtime power management
Jun 19 14:04:46 localhost kernel[0]: AppleThunderboltNHIType2::start - type 2 sleep enabled
Jun 19 14:04:46 localhost kernel[0]: AppleThunderboltNHIType2::start - SXFP method found

archcorsair

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
same issue here on 2 rmpb. both freeze about half the time when i insert the ethernet adapter.
anyone got more infos? only things i can provide is from syslog f.e.:
Code:
Jun 19 14:04:46 localhost kernel[0]: AppleThunderboltNHIType2::setupPowerSavings - GPE based runtime power management
Jun 19 14:04:46 localhost kernel[0]: AppleThunderboltNHIType2::start - type 2 sleep enabled
Jun 19 14:04:46 localhost kernel[0]: AppleThunderboltNHIType2::start - SXFP method found

Same exact issue, I have all updates, firmware is up to date.
Macbook Pro Retina Late 2012 - i5 CPU - 8GB RAM - SSD on OS X 10.8.4
Can't seem to find any resolution to this issue.. very frustrating.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
Did anyone report a bug for this? Make any headway?

I experience it frequently, too, on a Retina 15-inch Early 2013 MBP.

It seems like it happens most frequently when using the TB port nearest the magsafe connector. The one next to USB hasn't (yet) displayed the same behavior.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
It seems like it happens most frequently when using the TB port nearest the magsafe connector. The one next to USB hasn't (yet) displayed the same behavior.

Well then that points to an iffy TB port doesn't it. If already out of warranty, I would attempt to clean that port, that's all I got.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
Interestingly, this is the second logic board that exhibits the same issue. Previous board was replaced because the graphics chip was flakey.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
What about you try and get the (old) USB based ethernet adapter? Sure, it's 100 Mbit max, but for me, that's enough. I got that version because I use the thunderbolt port for an external monitor.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
Good idea, but I'm already pushing gigabit to the max. The files I work with are tens of gigabytes in size. Unless there is a USB 3 gigabit adapter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.