Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Every once in a while on Powerbook 165 running 7.1 I get a prompt to insert a floppy that I have don't have. Any key press combo to clear the prompt?

Example: I put a floppy name MISC in the drive , copy some files , then format and eject the disk. It leaves a greyed out icon of the old disc on the desktop. If I click that icon it prompts to insert the disk. Other than inserting the disc, can that prompt be cleared with some key presses , as it seems to lock up the machine?

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Eject the disk by dragging it to the trash. Otherwise .. as you find out, Finder may want that disk to "update" something because it is still considered an active volume.

Dragging disks/volumes to the trash does not do anything bad to them. Never has. It's how it's removed totally from the desktop, not just unmounted. OS X OTOH seems to have done away with the "unmounted", but still present disk/volume. It's mounted and available. Or it's not. That's it.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Eject the disk by dragging it to the trash. Otherwise .. as you find out, Finder may want that disk to "update" something because it is still considered an active volume.

Dragging disks/volumes to the trash does not do anything bad to them. Never has. It's how it's removed totally from the desktop, not just unmounted. OS X OTOH seems to have done away with the "unmounted", but still present disk/volume. It's mounted and available. Or it's not. That's it.

Thanks I did not know about drag to trash to eject.

Just wondering...
If you use the menu to eject,
then click on the greyed out disk icon,
the system prompts for the disk, with a hourglass cursor.

Seems to be no way to use the system or cancel the prompt other than inserting the disc in 7.1?

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
OpenApple-Period does not cancel it?

I seem to remember a way of canceling that.. though I pretty much always dragged to the trash to eject stuff, using only desktop eject when I wanted to move an item between two floppies and for whatever reason didn't want to use the hard drive as a relay.. like back in the day when the hard drive was 20 megs and it took only 25 disks to back up the whole thing. :)

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
OpenApple-Period does not cancel it?

I seem to remember a way of canceling that.. though I pretty much always dragged to the trash to eject stuff, using only desktop eject when I wanted to move an item between two floppies and for whatever reason didn't want to use the hard drive as a relay.. like back in the day when the hard drive was 20 megs and it took only 25 disks to back up the whole thing. :)

Thanks a couple Open Apple .'s did the trick.

Never used the older Apple products just trying to find my way around a PB165 with System 7 on it. Probably a number of key press commands I need to learn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.