Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caseyfriday

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2011
SAT
Oooh sexy!

I'm also building a first batch of touch wheel 3G's as well - with 128GB of storage!

P1030768.jpg

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
yes! saw this post, while looking around the forum.

immediate started looking for my old mini 4gb. and i found it!!! now to buy the compact flash drive. needing a bigger ipod so bad!!!

thanks forum

spin498

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2010
I move around
I've just tried doing this, however, I took my mini apart because the battery was dying and the click wheel was sticking, so, I've replaced the battery, the clickwheel and the hard drive with 16 gig CF card. Now neither my Mac nor my win7 PC will recognize the iPod. Doesn't show up in iTunes or on the desktop. However, on the Win7 it will open itunes and Media Monkey when I plug in.
Media Monkey will display it as ipod for a few seconds then it disappears and reappears seconds later. On the iPod I get the yellow triangle with the exclamation on a folder icon. I can get it to go into disk mode but that's it.
If I do the reset routine with the hold button click wheel etc. I get the apple logo for about a second, but not long enough to complete the reset with the click wheel. I've tired putting it into card reader and using disk utility to format and no go. I've tried GUID, MBR, Osx journaled and FAT32 combos and still no go. The card itself will show in card reader. I even tried formatting using a Nikon Camera. I've seen this reported multiple times on several different forums but so far no one has an answer.

mlovergaard

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
New York City
What cards have you all been using? I just got a Mini today and want to do this upgrade but I am a little worried about getting the right CF card.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I'm also building a first batch of touch wheel 3G's as well - with 128GB of storage!

Dude, thats pretty flippin awesome!! Not a huge audiophile myself (Got myself a pair of Noontec Zoro's, Sennheiser HD202's, and (was) looking for a nice pair of buds until recently). These mods are SWEET! how did you manage to fit the caps in though? And how much of a difference does it make? I never had a mini (oldest here is my dads old Nano 2G, rockboxed), but now I want one!

caseyfriday

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2011
SAT
What cards have you all been using? I just got a Mini today and want to do this upgrade but I am a little worried about getting the right CF card.
I've had good luck with the cheap TopRam and Komputerbay cards on Amazon. They're less than $1/GB, which is what makes it worth it to me.
Dude, thats pretty flippin awesome!! Not a huge audiophile myself (Got myself a pair of Noontec Zoro's, Sennheiser HD202's, and (was) looking for a nice pair of buds until recently). These mods are SWEET! how did you manage to fit the caps in though? And how much of a difference does it make? I never had a mini (oldest here is my dads old Nano 2G, rockboxed), but now I want one!
I consider myself an audiophile in that I enjoy great sounding music, but I did a blind test from my MacBook Pro straight to my Sennheiser HD595's, and I couldn't hear the difference between 320kbps and Lossless. So I will say it might all be placebo, but I definitely hear a warmer tone, and everything is just more pronounced (you can hear people shuffling at live performances, etc).

Re: how did I fit the caps in - I actually have to completely tear apart the CF card to make room in the minis. So I tear the metal casing off of it, wrap it in electrical tape, and then the caps just BARELY fit in the mini's enclosure.

I really like the mini with Rockbox, but the only draw is that I use Smart Playlists almost exclusively, and they don't keep track of my play counts like the regular iPod OS does. Rockbox does allow for gapless playback on all iPods, though, which is REALLY worth it since I listen to a lot of orchestral music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.