Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
It's extremely difficult to grasp. I haven't even fully grasped it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Renzatic

Suspended
I've always found this subject fascinating. The fact the universe exists as we see it is because we're here to see the universe is about as truly mind bending as you can possibly get. Just about everything involving quantum physics has a tendency to annoyingly redefine reality as we know it.

Okay, I'm gonna finish watching the rest of this then go get drunk.

edit: if you want to get really weirded out, think of this. The first line of the video mentions the usual "first, there was nothing". What is nothing? How can nothing exist when it's existence negates it's very existence. How can anything happen in nothing? What is nothing? Is it a big empty space? A big empty space, while being filled with nothing, is something in and of itself because it possesses dimensionality.

So was the big bang really a lot of nothing exploding into nearly infinite something from an infinitesimally small point, or was this nothing really something modern physics can't currently define changing states?

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I've always found this subject fascinating. The fact the universe exists as we see it is because we're here to see the universe is about as truly mind bending as you can possibly get. Just about everything involving quantum physics has a tendency to annoyingly redefine reality as we know it.

edit: if you want to get really weirded out, think of this. The first line of the video mentions the usual "first, there was nothing". What is nothing? How can nothing exist when it's existence negates it's very existence. How can anything happen in nothing? What is nothing? Is it a big empty space? A big empty space, while being filled with nothing, is something in and of itself because it possesses dimensionality.

So was the big bang really a lot of nothing exploding into nearly infinite something from an infinitesimally small point, or was this nothing really something modern physics can't currently define changing states?

Uhh... you sure you weren't drunk when writing that last part?

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
You can prove it to yourself that you exist, that's it.

*edit*

watched some of the video

Take that with a grain of salt, it's just one theory among many. By no means is anything here *confirmed* at all.

But to be fair,

the idea that we don't exist, or that everything is an illusion can be attributed to Rene Descartes.

Last edited:

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
TL;DW

Don't exist? I (and because I exist, I can do this) disagree. To be honest, I think people (specifically those in the video) are over thinking things. How can we all perceive the same thing. We may have different opinions, but we all see and feel the same thing.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
TL;DW

Don't exist? I (and because I exist, I can do this) disagree. To be honest, I think people (specifically those in the video) are over thinking things. How can we all perceive the same thing. We may have different opinions, but we all see and feel the same thing.

One consciousness, apparently. Centralized somewhere apparently o_O

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Although I've always found this sort of thing interesting, I think the video shows a very overreaching explanation of things.

Renzatic

Suspended
I don't think I've ever heard that it's common consensus that we or the universe don't actually exist. Rather it's that the universe exists differently when we aren't around. The most dryly scientific explanation is that everything is waveform when there are no observers present, and collapses into a particle based universe when there is.

...or if you prefer the weirder almost new age zen style explanation, it changes from a system of infinite possibilities into a system where a singular possibility has occurred when there's an observer present.

Like if a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound? If no one's there to witness it, then it exists in a state where the tree has fallen, hasn't fallen, or maybe exploded into bees until someone walks upon it. When someone happens upon it, they might see the tree has fallen, and thus made a sound at some point. Or not.

So why doesn't it change back when that person leaves? Can the tree pick itself up again and become not-fallen? Why is it that if the tree has fallen in my reality, it's also fallen in yours? Why isn't reality subjective to the viewer if everything's potential until that initial witnessing by a singular observer? I have no idea. Quantum mechanics are weird.

Last edited:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green

This is why I prefer the reverse order: get drunk first, then finish watching it and ask a lot of theoretical questions. If you get drunk first, then when it doesn't make sense, you'll have an excuse. Or if it does make sense, you'll also have an excuse.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
TL;DW

Thank you, Mr Descartes. Well put sir. Cogito ergo sum.:cool:

I don't think I've ever heard that it's common consensus that we or the universe don't actually exist. Rather it's that the universe exists differently when we aren't around. The most dryly scientific explanation is that everything is waveform when there are no observers present, and collapses into a particle based universe when there is.

So if it weren't for me, none of you would exist, right?:cool: Or if I weren't for you, I wouldn't exist.:eek::eek::eek:

So how drunk do I have to be before this stuff starts making sense?;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.