Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
anyone here amazon prime mainly in the uk (london)?

just wondering if anyone here is amazon prime member and if its worth the £49 yearly..

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I have it in the US. I usually order over $25 per order anyway so would get free 3-5 day shipping. But it's nice to know that I'll get stuff in 2 days. I also watch the free Amazon Prime movies/tv shows and have a Kindle device so can utilize the 1 free book a month. In that regard it's a very good deal. You really just need to determine if you'll order from them frequently enough. Aside from groceries I haven't been in a real store in ages. I think the delivery man hates stopping by my house by now also... :p I do try to only order once a week at most though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I like free shipping and most of my orders are over $25 (the free shipping req in the States) so usually I don't mind a couple of extra days for the stuff to appear on my doorstep. I am considering Prime membership because getting it in a couple of days can be nice too, but do I want to pay for it? ;)

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
I have it in the UK, and you don't get all the video streaming benefits of US prime membership, but you do get the kindle book rental thing. Next day deliveries for orders up till about 17:00 are great, and a luxury I wouldn't like to give up.
Having said that, I don't pay for it, my Dad wanted it, and realised that even though he doesn't live with me or my siblings, he can give us each one of the 5 household slots, one for him, one for his wife, and one each for my siblings over 4 separate addresses. From that point of view, amazing value at £10 each, although it leaves my wife jealous that she doesn't have it on her account.

Jayuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I have it in the US. I usually order over $25 per order anyway so would get free 3-5 day shipping. But it's nice to know that I'll get stuff in 2 days. I also watch the free Amazon Prime movies/tv shows and have a Kindle device so can utilize the 1 free book a month. In that regard it's a very good deal. You really just need to determine if you'll order from them frequently enough. Aside from groceries I haven't been in a real store in ages. I think the delivery man hates stopping by my house by now also... :p I do try to only order once a week at most though.

i pretty much order what ever i need everyday off amazon as i have no time to go shopping + the deals on the net seem cheaper for me. i wish uk amazon had the same benefits as usa does.. :(

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I gave up with prime.

For smaller items, they use first class post - which isn't guaranteed. And it's the same routine, phone them up, they refund like £1, and it arrives 2-3 days later.

They've had an ASA ruling go against them for it, yet they seem to still do it.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
anyone here amazon prime mainly in the uk (london)?

just wondering if anyone here is amazon prime member and if its worth the £49 yearly..

I cancelled my prime, I was not happy with the way they conduct their business in the UK plus the delivery people they use.

Jayuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
thanks everyone!

im still in the middle of getting it or not..

still waiting for more storys lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.