Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCLrox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I have a 2001 first gen iPod, and I have noticed that if I pick up the iPod while it is plugged into the wall, it stops charging. If I pick it up while it is plugged into the computer, it restarts. Another possibly related problem is that the iPod will not charge unless I keep my hand firmly pressed against the charging brick when it is plugged into the wall. It usually stops charging if I move my hand. Could this be a faulty Firewire port on the iPod? Or perhaps the charging cable is on its way out?

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Do you use the same cable for the charger and the sync? If so I'd say that's the most likely place to start.

ellishgibbons

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
Hai am also having the same problem regarding with my mobile phone but the problem is with the charger so, check it clearly.

JCLrox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I do use the same FW 400 cable for both charging and syncing. I have tried using both ends, each end with the same result.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well the cheapest way to check is to see if the cable is faulty is to replace it.

Otherwise, it could be the port on the charging brick has gone bad, so when you pick up the device the wire gets jiggled and the charging gets disconnected.

JCLrox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I think I'll find a new FW cable and charging brick on eBay sometime soon. I'm hoping that the port on the iPod isn't damaged, because that would mean soldering would be in involved in fixing it. Thanks for everyone's help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.