Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I've just been reading a thread stating that blackouts (reason for UPS) only cause you to lose unsaved data but do not damage hardware. Only power surges damage the hardware.

I'm not worried about losing data because I'm constantly pressing the save button. I don't mind my iMac shutting off if there is a power cut as long as I don't damage the hardware.

Will just a surge protector suffice for me or can blackouts actually damage the hardware?

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I've just been reading a thread stating that blackouts (reason for UPS) only cause you to lose unsaved data but do not damage hardware. Only power surges damage the hardware.

I'm not worried about losing data because I'm constantly pressing the save button. I don't mind my iMac shutting off if there is a power cut as long as I don't damage the hardware.

Will just a surge protector suffice for me or can blackouts actually damage the hardware?

Without a doubt a UPS is much more valuable than a surge protector.

wessew

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
Blackouts in which there is a loss of power to the computer can damage system files and cause significant corruption. Such damage can cause the computer to malfunction. This is why you do should not simply pull the plug or do a hard shutdown of the computer. I would regard a quality UPS as essential.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA

As other's have said, a black out during disk activity can be catastrophic, but a brown out where your Mac is not getting the full voltage it needs can ruin the hardware just like a surge does... A UPS makes your computer always run off the battery... so power never drops...

gzigoris

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2013
Middle MI.USA
A UPS is you best Surge protector. Have this big resistance across you line will suck up any spikes coming through. go for a UPS.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the replies. I've ordered a CyberPower pure sine wave UPS :)

Very expensive in the UK, however, I'm sure it'll be worth it.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
A UPS makes your computer always run off the battery... so power never drops...

Not strictly accurate. An "online" UPS always runs off the battery, so that computer never "sees" the AC at all. But they are very expensive and often very noisy (I've had several).

An ordinary UPS feeds the AC to the computer until there's either a brownout or blackout. Then you're on the battery, but not before.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/ext/ups/typesOnLine-c.html

APC, Cyberpower and others are not "online" UPSs. (Maybe APC has an online unit, but I don't know for sure . . . certainly the ones most of us buy are not.)

There's not a thing wrong with them, though, provided they're a good fit for your computer. There's the PFC/sine wave issue, etc.

OP, the Cyberpower will do well for you. I have two and they are excellent.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
Not strictly accurate. An "online" UPS always runs off the battery, so that computer never "sees" the AC at all. But they are very expensive and often very noisy (I've had several).

An ordinary UPS feeds the AC to the computer until there's either a brownout or blackout. Then you're on the battery, but not before.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/ext/ups/typesOnLine-c.html

APC, Cyberpower and others are not "online" UPSs. (Maybe APC has an online unit, but I don't know for sure . . . certainly the ones most of us buy are not.)

There's not a thing wrong with them, though, provided they're a good fit for your computer. There's the PFC/sine wave issue, etc.

OP, the Cyberpower will do well for you. I have two and they are excellent.

I know APC makes at least one... but i wouldn't want to buy one for my Mac ( its the size of a dorm fridge and yes kinda noisy)...We have a a few at work in some of our smaller hub sites were we can't afford any transfer time during a power failure... of course they pale in comparison to the Run time that our separate Rectifier / Inverter systems where we have rooms full of batteries hooked to a rectifier for charging and separate inverter to power any of the gear we have that is not DC powered... all of that is on top of a very large Gen-set... we have 8 hours run time for the building... that is if commercial power fails and then the Generator fails on top of that...

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Yeah, I don't miss the days of the tornado-like noise from my AlphaServer and the online UPS. I've been failing to remember the brand of the first one I had, which was some milspec thing that cost a fortune and was very noisy.

It gave its life protecting my equipment when I was handling an event at the Pentagon . . . the Army gave me a 30kw generator to use (even though 2 kw would have been more than enough for me) and it threw a wicked spike and took out the UPS. But everything downstream from it was just fine.

After that I tried Best and Exide and they were OK. One thing I found in my onsite event days was that some UPSs wouldn't tolerate output from regular gas generators, and some would. I never found an APC model that would work with a regular generator, but the newer inverter-type generators didn't give them a problem. The Best and the Exide didn't care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.