Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Turo22
macrumors newbie

Diablo 3

I have been planing to buy an Imac for playing Diablo 3 off course as well for general use, at the moment I only have an Acer laptop which sucks =) But my question is whether to buy it now or to wait for the new. Will the gaming experience be that much better on the new, with Ivy bridge etc. compared to the one in store now ?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Turo22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:04 PM   #2
David085
Banned

I will advice holding off until the new iMac is release in case the new one will be better then the current model., Shouldn't be that much longer Could be April 24th Tuesday tomorrow, or maybe even July or something it isn't that far away.
David085 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Bear
macrumors G3

Unfortunately other than the fact that the new iMacs will have IvyBridge processors, it is rather unknown as to what other changes will be in the new iMacs. At this point it's probably worth waiting.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:20 PM   #4
DanPosMaytee
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo22 View Post
I have been planing to buy an Imac for playing Diablo 3 off course as well for general use, at the moment I only have an Acer laptop which sucks =) But my question is whether to buy it now or to wait for the new. Will the gaming experience be that much better on the new, with Ivy bridge etc. compared to the one in store now ?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Considering the game doesn't come out till May 15th you could wait, although the base model is good enough for Skyrim and Battlefield 3, I had the beta this weekend and my pc ran it on high and as you can see in my signature my PC is crap (:

(As you can tell I need a new PC, iMac time in June!)
DanPosMaytee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:35 PM   #5
panzer06
macrumors 68030

My 2010 iMac ran the D3 open beta at full res on high for most settings with the ATI 5750 so the current models will probably be just fine. They will probably be even less expensive once the new models come out.

Cheers,
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:18 PM   #6
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Of course, the new models will most likely sport a 7000 series AMD GPU, along with that shiny new Ivy Bridge CPU. You can buy now and have good graphics, or wait a little longer and have GREAT graphics. For years to come.
iMacFarlane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:48 AM   #7
hulkki
macrumors newbie

21.5" iMac 2011 with 6770M GPU runned Diablo 3 beta at 35-45 fps with these settings:

- 1920x1080 resolution
- details high
- shadows off
- AA on

Performace in OS X should be better in retail though according to blizzard:

"There are currently some performance issues with the Mac version of Beta 16. The build may be performing slower than it did before the patch. We are aware of this issue and hope to resolve it in a future patch."

Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4253974026

I also should note that the game feeled much smoother with vsync on. Fps was locked to 30. I hope i see performance increase in retail so I get 60 fps with vsync on.
hulkki is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:43 AM   #8
Wrathwitch
macrumors 65816

To add a further go for it kinda post:

I have been playing the Beta on full settings with shadows on Medium with my 2009 27" i7 Quad core iMac with no difficulty.

The only complaint I have is that the graphics are looking a little tired with my old machine. Detailing is still adequate but not stellar. A new video card would likely make quite the difference.

OH, but I haven't been playing it on highest res, I have been playing it on perhaps the 3rd or 4th setting down. The graphics lag a bit if I try to play within the top 3 resolution settings.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Turo22
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your answers, think I will wait for the new Imac then and hopefully it will be available before Diablo 3 comes out, otherwise I will try to borrow a computer.
Turo22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Razorhog
macrumors 6502a

This thread has stirred my interest in Diablo 3. I played the original Diablo in College when it came out my Freshman year. That was not so good for my studies, lol. I still remember the opening music. At any rate, I think it's great that it is being developed for OS X. Most games I will install in Bootcamp, but it's nice to have a game that you can run while on the Mac side.
Razorhog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:35 PM   #11
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
This thread has stirred my interest in Diablo 3. I played the original Diablo in College when it came out my Freshman year. That was not so good for my studies, lol. I still remember the opening music. At any rate, I think it's great that it is being developed for OS X. Most games I will install in Bootcamp, but it's nice to have a game that you can run while on the Mac side.
Blizzard has always been a top quality outfit, but one of the coolest things they have consistently done for a long time is release hybrid versions of their software (will play on WinX or OS X). When I bought my first iMac two years ago, I got Starcraft 2 and have enjoyed it immensely. When I opened my battle.net account, I was able to register my copies of Warcraft 3 and the original Starcraft (that I bought in 1998!) and was then able to download Mac OS X clients for these programs. Awesomeness.
iMacFarlane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:26 PM   #12
DanPosMaytee
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
When I finally get my iMac I am thinking of keeping all my games on my Bootcamp partition just to keep everything separate, it may even help my studies because the temptation won't be there, although I know it is very simple and quick to just restart my PC but they won't be sat in my dock staring at me.

(As you can tell I need a new PC, iMac time in June!)
DanPosMaytee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac