Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjmoore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Hey all,

I'm working with some .mov files that are in a native encoding setting for Final Cut. When I preview the footage everything looks fine, but when I put it in the timeline and view it in the canvas, everything is shrunken to the top left corner. Yes, I have "Fit To All" checked for this view. When I play it, the clip plays but the area that is black (see below) flickers green.

Please help!

nHFQR.jpg

MrPlayer66

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Project Settings.

Did you get check your timeline settings match the footage you're using?

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
They're totally different. Your viewer is at 66% with the same open space as your canvas at 44%. Plus, either your video is stretched in your viewer or squished in your canvas, which leads me to believe you is squara and the other is rectangular pixels. Create a new timeline, drag a clip in and when it asks you to conform the timeline to the clips settings select yes.

If it doesn't give you that option, go into your user prefs and in the editing tab, bottom right change the "auto conform sequence" dropdown to "ask"

And fit all has nothing to do with the size of your video going into your timeline, it is filling all your media into the window space you have available to your canvas. If you had an image in there that was way bigger than your timeline size it would reduce the display so you could see the boundaries of all the clips.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.