Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GD0X

Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
so my girlfriend gave me her iphone 4 (ATT) to sell. There's hardly anything on here (will do a restore soon), but i left the phone in my drawer 2 days ago with 70% left and i pick it up tonight and its dead.... with wifi on and the "no service" system info.

this phone has been sitting in a box for a year, maybe a little bit longer with no use.

She is arguing that since the phone has no sim/no service with ATT... it keeps looking for a cellular signal/wifi for notificiations even though it is ios 5.x . So she is arguing that it keeps looking for a signal with ATT or wifi for the reason it dies so fast. She suggests i can keep wifi on but turn airplane mode on.

i can agree with this partially, but unless it truly is still searching for an ATT tower, i doubt wifi would this thing with 70% left in 2 days.

I'm arguing that since the service with ATT has been cut it is not the fact it is looking for cellular service. And since wifi is always kept on. on my phone im not blaming the wifi.... im not saying it is, but i suspect the battery is the culprit.

so your thoughts?

GD0X

Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Service is off. It won't be searching for service. Specially since there is no SIM.

Battery is tired.

even if there was wifi..... having a phone in stand-by would last longer than 2 days... correct?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Do a restore first and then check.

My devices have done weird stuff like this (yes only on wifi) in the past that were fixed by a restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.