Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Today was the first time I have ever had my phone taken up in school.

I wasn't texting, on Facebook, or even had it in my hands. I had it on silent in my pants. Why was it taken up? In the middle of class all the sudden we hear a "ding ding!" and then a "I didn't quite catch that". I'm a good student and I follow the school rules. I don't use my phone when I'm not allowed to (only allowed when given special permission to). The teacher in the class was older and also was in a bad mood so she asked for it immediately.

My only troubling was this was caused by Siri. My phone was in my pocket and my hands weren't even on it, so the Home buttons must've been pushed in when I moved (probably due to my headphones) or the proximity sensor went off. Either way, it was seriously embarrassing as a super studious student to have to hand my phone up (especially in front of those obnoxious students)

What makes me mad is that this should have been super avoidable, because I had the switch turned to silent. My question/complaint now is if there's an easier way to mute Siri without having to constantly turn the volume down when I want it to be quiet and then turn it back up when I want to use it? If not then there SERIOUSLY needs to be a way to.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Turn your device volume down.. Press and hold to activate siri and then hold down the down volume button. It won't completely silence but it will make it basically inaudible.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Today was the first time I have ever had my phone taken up in school.

I wasn't texting, on Facebook, or even had it in my hands. I had it on silent in my pants. Why was it taken up? In the middle of class all the sudden we hear a "ding ding!" and then a "I didn't quite catch that". I'm a good student and I follow the school rules. I don't use my phone when I'm not allowed to (only allowed when given special permission to). The teacher in the class was older and also was in a bad mood so she asked for it immediately.

My only troubling was this was caused by Siri. My phone was in my pocket and my hands weren't even on it, so the Home buttons must've been pushed in when I moved (probably due to my headphones) or the proximity sensor went off. Either way, it was seriously embarrassing as a super studious student to have to hand my phone up (especially in front of those obnoxious students)

What makes me mad is that this should have been super avoidable, because I had the switch turned to silent. My question/complaint now is if there's an easier way to mute Siri without having to constantly turn the volume down when I want it to be quiet and then turn it back up when I want to use it? If not then there SERIOUSLY needs to be a way to.

There's no easier way that I know of.

Also, from what I've seen on these forums (or haven't seen...until now), I don't think there's a serious need for this.

If what you're looking for is one volume setting when the phone is locked and another when it's unlocked, I wouldn't mind that either but I'd wager it isn't going to happen. As such or at least since this isn't available now, and since this is a serious issue for you, I recommend either restricting Siri from lockscreen access or shutting off your phone during class.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I recommend either restricting Siri from lockscreen access or shutting off your phone during class.

cant you turn siri off in settings? and just dont use her?

The only thing is I constantly use Siri on a near daily basis. I can turn Siri on and off but it's just highly inconvenient, and I'm curious if there is a way (and if not complaining that there isn't)

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I agree with OP, mute should be mute period. If I silence my phone, Siri should not be activated and make noise accidentally. I had mine go off in a meeting because my case pushed on the button. It can be embarrassing at all levels and silent should mean zero noise!

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I agree with OP, mute should be mute period. If I silence my phone, Siri should not be activated and make noise accidentally. I had mine go off in a meeting because my case pushed on the button. It can be embarrassing at all levels and silent should mean zero noise!

It does...unless you initiate it. I don't have any problems with Siri going off on its own and I might feel the same way you do if I did but for me, I'd be really annoyed if I had to un-silence my phone every time I wanted to use Siri handsfree.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010

Agreed! I've been very paranoid when at concerts or meetings that my iPhone was going to start making random noises. The mute switch should mute!!!!

One quick hack is to carry around a little headphone plug to shut off the speaker. I did a quick search on iphone dummy plug and there are tons and tons of articles about this and lots of little plugs for sale although they're mostly meant to stop dust form getting into the jack.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
It does...unless you initiate it. I don't have any problems with Siri going off on its own and I might feel the same way you do if I did but for me, I'd be really annoyed if I had to un-silence my phone every time I wanted to use Siri handsfree.

Ok, Siri could still be used it would just be in silent mode and it would light up and you could speak to it, but it would be muted still.

How do you use Siri Hands free? You have to initiate the button first and I doubt you keep siri in your pocket when you initiate her, so odds are you will be looking at the device when she is activated so you wouldn't need sound.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011

If I'm going to use Siri, I won't need to have my phone on silent anyways, and If I'm using Siri but I need it silent, I can just read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.