Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 6, 2010, 09:04 PM   #1
foofighter1807
macrumors newbie

How to sync music to iPhone 4 with two different computers

I'm trying to add music to my iP4 using my computer (main) and my GF's. So I started to use my GF's computer and added the music I wanted...at first itunes warned me that I needed to erase and sync using one library. I clicked ok, because there was nothing on my phone at the time. So I added all the music, now, I want to add music using MY computer but that same dialog box pops up warning me that it will delete my music I just recently added.

I googled this and it seems like many people changed their library file settings, etc...but I dont want to do this. It was so simple on my touch just to click "manually manage music" but now its all complicated!

Anyone have any suggestions or solutions to get over this? Thanks!
foofighter1807 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 09:32 PM   #2
lumpy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter1807 View Post
I googled this and it seems like many people changed their library file settings, etc...but I dont want to do this. It was so simple on my touch just to click "manually manage music" but now its all complicated!

Anyone have any suggestions or solutions to get over this? Thanks!
you answered your own question. You've got to make the "library persistent ID" match on all of the iTunes libraries that you'd like to 'sync' your phone to. This only allows you to put music *on* to the phone however, not take it off into the library. You can put Apps into the library though if they have the same Apple ID....
lumpy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 09:43 PM   #3
rotlex
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to rotlex
Have a question similar to this that I have yet to find an answer for, I think at least.

Getting my wife an iPhone, or giving her my old one now. We each have a Mac. Mines the "primary" if you will. I want to sync both the phones to "my" Mac for music, apps etc., but let her sync hers to her Mac for calendar, contacts and anything else.

Is there an easy way to do this? Everything is networked if that makes any difference, and we only use my iTunes\Mac account for purchases of music or anything else on line.

Thanks for any input - don't mean to thread jack.
rotlex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 04:59 AM   #4
TINCAN78
macrumors regular

I have changed the library id key on both my iMac and macbook pro and it worked but now i have upgraded to Itunes 10 i have made them both the same yet the iphone 4 won't sync with the second without asking me to erase.....

Any ideas??
TINCAN78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:40 AM   #5
iPhone4sUser
macrumors newbie

Easiest Way

I've had the same problem. If anyone still has this problem....

Solution:
If you want to add music from a different iTunes library than the one yours is currently synced with, without having to click "manually manage music" and erase all the music on your iPhone, follow these steps.

1. Make a playlist in the iTunes library of the songs you want.
2. Click on your "iPhone" bubble at the top right of iTunes.
3.Once there, click on "On this iPhone".
4.At the bottom of this page (above your colourful data distribution scale) you'll see "Autofill from".
5. In this box, select the playlist you created with the music you wanted.
6. Click "Autofill" on the right hand side.
7. Boom, new music is transferred!

Hope this helped!
iPhone4sUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone