Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Halarious. I was just curious wasa justifies 12 Core and 64gb of ram. I have been using a octo-core with 16gb and it does everything i need and then some so i thought....wtf would you need 64gb.

Tell that to my dad. He's a physicist at CERN in Geneva and he needs 2 Mac Pros, each with 12 cores and 64GB of RAM. Don't ask me what software he uses, I have no idea :p

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
If you have to ask, you don't need it; if you need it, you either wish you had it or already have it.

Like alphaod said.

Any 3D app will use all those cores and ram and more if possible.

for example: Cinema 4D, Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini, Softimage, Modo, Lightwave, Z brush, Mudbox, 3D coat, After Effects, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve, Blender, Real flow, Vue, V-ray, Maxwell Render and so on.

There are tons of pro apps that would push that mac pro to its limits.

So yes there is a big need for that and much, much more.

drumminator

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
Maine
i think this kind of powerhouse would be great for video editing (with the right graphics card ) programs such as davinci resolve and maybe cinema 4d. just my 2 cents

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
It's honestly like a downtown new yorker who owns a car he's driven once in 3 months asking a guy who lives out where I do why he needs a 4 wheel drive jeep when he never hauls anything or goes off road. Well, when you live in a semi-rural area (next to some very rural areas, we're just barely 'in town' so to speak, far from any major cities), and you wake up and there's 6 inches of snow on top of poorly maintained roads and the plows are a day away, well, you still gotta get to work! Mass transit is unheard of out here, and most commute to work, often 45 minutes or more.

It's need based. There are applications where it's needed. What you mentioned, iLife, aperture, etc. That can all be done on a base spec'ed Mac mini. A professional using apps like aperture might have a middle-of-the-road Mac Pro in order to add additional storage, and if they did any video the processing power would be nice. However consider applications like hollywood 3D movies. Do you know how long it took to render Avatar? They used 104TB (Yes, Terabyte) of RAM and systems that would make your $23,000 Mac Pro example look like a toy. The 'computer' is a series of rack mounted machines all inside a 10,000 square foot facility in order to process the intense 3D work that's required for that kind of production. Millions of dollars goes into the computing power that does Hollywood level 3D work.

So, yes, absolutely, there are uses for high end machines like that.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Is there any application in the world that benefits from this much power. whats the point?.. just curious

Yes.

Virtualization can use a lot of RAM. In my job I could certainly use 64gb of RAM or more, as I deal with simulating networks and networked applications. If i had a box with 64GB of ram on my desk, I wouldn't need to tie up our production vSphere cluster (which has 4 hosts with 96GB in them each) with test lab virtual machines.

Ditto for CPUs. Simulating Cisco devices with GNS3 requires a LOT of CPU power.

If you're talking server stuff - even more so - eg Virtual Desktop infrastructure. I have VMware boxes at work with 96GB of RAM in them (and RAM is right now starting to get tight!) and if we're going to start doing VDI, they'll be upgraded to 256 or 512GB (yes, half a TB) of RAM to handle the load (which may, for example be 50-100 desktop operating systems per machine). But the Mac Pro isn't really used in that type of environment..

Last edited:

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
Vienna Pro Ensemble loaded up with its own patches, or instances of Kontakt will easily utilize that much ram and more. It's a shame OSX runs out at ..is it 96?

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I was on Apple.Com checking out the refurbs and got a random idea in my head. I was curious to see what a maxed out mac pro would cost. So 23K later I had a beast of a machine. But I am curious, what is the use of having two 6-core processors and 64gigs of ram. Is there any application in the world that benefits from this much power. whats the point?.. just curious

Some apps I use, though I only do post-process on my local tower, I run the actual calculations on clusters sitting in a machine room miles away :). Most of my jobs eat far more cores, ram, or both than your specced machine

NAMD

NWChem

AMBER

DOCK

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Industrial Light & Magic uses machines with 100's of GB of RAM... other 3D video production shops do as well... its big time in the movie industry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.